54883 – 101167 BDT per month
The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is the world’s premier research organization dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change
This position will contribute to AMD’s climate change research and development activities in the agrifood systems in Bangladesh, focusing on conducting studies on climate and environmental vulnerabilities, verification and validation of climate-smart maps, identification of climate-smart and alternative technology/intervention options with farmers, and stakeholders, working with policymakers and various partners in public and civil society agencies, and networking with critical national forums in the field of climate change research and development.
Under the supervision of the Project Leader and senior researchers, this position will contribute to conducting studies on climate risk and vulnerabilities, designing and implementing surveys and case studies, collecting and analyzing data, developing partnerships with stakeholders, working with partners to implement field activities, identify alternate climate-smart technologies and practices with farmers and stakeholders, scale-out suitable climate-smart agriculture solutions at scale, develop capacities of partners, assist in writing project reports, and implement project MEL activities.
This position will be based at the IRRI Bangladesh Office in Dhaka and may only be filled by permanent citizens of Bangladesh.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Contribute to designing and implementing socioeconomic research studies, including surveys, FGDs, and case studies
- Collect and analyze research data and prepare detailed reports, presentations, appropriate tables, and charts
- Design and develop research monitoring and evaluation tools for data collection and impact assessments.
- Develop and coordinate strong linkages with national partners, farmers, collaborators, and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to awareness generation and capacity-building activities of the project.
- Lead in developing training materials and training field researchers, public, civil, and private sector extension workers
- Arrange training, workshop, and seminar activities involving project partners and stakeholders
- Ensure that information is widely disseminated through different channels
- Monitoring, evaluation, and reporting the project activities/partner implementation
- Manage program-initiated research and development activities with partners
- Liaise with relevant researchers directly involved in the project implementation
- Assist in developing standard research protocol and data collection tools such as questionnaires
- Assure maintenance of program-related data and update database
- Assist in the interpretation of results and make recommendations for further research
- Prepare an appropriate facilitation plan and support the implementation of training based on the manuals
- Act as a contact Resource Person for the training courses and visitors
- Develop questionnaires for surveys and FGDs and program these into digital survey software (i.e., ODK, Survey Solutions, etc.)
- Provide field researchers, technicians, and workers with the appropriate logistics for research.
- Supervise Field Researchers and partner activities.
- Contribute to the professional development of researchers and partner field teams.
- Contribute to preparing research reports and journal papers
- Prepare posters and PowerPoint presentations for local and international conferences
- Participate and present papers or posters in scientific workshops/conferences
- Dissemination of appropriate technologies for the AMD focus areas
- Suggest developmental initiatives to optimize productivity and achievement of goals
- Perform other relevant tasks assigned by the supervisor from time to time
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of 5 years of work experience in agricultural research and development or
- Master’s degree in social sciences or related field with a minimum of 3 years of work experience in agricultural research and development
- Has proven technical proficiency in conducting research and development activities in agriculture and climate change
- Has experience developing and digitizing survey questionnaires
- Has experience in supervising a team
- Has proven experience forging partnerships
- Has advanced oral and written communication skills
- Has advanced organization and interpersonal skills
- Is computer literate in MS Office and statistical data analysis and report writing
- Has proven skills in data analysis using statistical software package
- Has extensive experience with monitoring and documentation of field activities
- Preference will be given to candidates with a Ph.D. in Social Science and experience in agriculture and climate change
Salary Ranges: Basic BDT (54, 883- 101, 167)/ per month
Other Benefits: Housing Allowance 30% of base pay per month, Transport Allowance BDT 12, 000 , Festival Bonus: 2 times each year, Contributory Provident Fund, Returning Mother Allowance: BDT-2,000 per month for 9 months to female employees post-delivery of a baby to support return to the workplace, Medical insurance coverage: maximum US$16,000/year and other admissible benefits