Overview & Responsibilities
The International Development Law Organization (IDLO) enables governments and empowers people to reform laws and strengthen institutions to promote peace, justice, sustainable development, and economic opportunity. We contribute to creating stable and inclusive societies where every person can live free from fear and want, in dignity, and under the rule of law.
Reporting to the Advocacy Team Manager, the Communications Specialist will assist IDLO, and its Partner institutions to effectively communicate with the public or specific target audiences through awareness raising activities and media campaigns. The Communication Specialist will develop the capacity of partner institutions to deliver public legal awareness campaigns, make use of media resources, and improve their communication strategies. The Communication Specialist will maintain media relations, coordinate the use of media resources for IDLO, and serve as an expert on the cost, reach, and impact of different types of media.
The Communication Specialist will provide support to the Advocacy Team Manager by maintaining the IDLO Afghanistan social media and web presence, building PLA capacity, and coordinating and cooperating with communications departments, public awareness units, and spokespersons of partner institutions. The Communication Specialist will advise the Advocacy Team Manager, Project Teams, and Program Lead on the expected impact, reach, and cost of different media resources and assist with them in creating communication strategies both as an independent activity and as part of larger strategy documents.
Summary of Functions:
- Maintain the media presence of IDLO and its partner institutions.
- Build the capacity of partner institutions to engage in awareness campaigns and public communication.
- Improve and maintain the media relations and expertise of IDLO.
Key results expected:
Maintain the media presence of IDLO and its partner institutions.
Build the capacity of partner institutions to engage in awareness campaigns and public communication.
- Design, deliver, and report on trainings on public legal awareness, negotiation and communication, media relations, social media, and similar topics, in support of advocacy plans and project goals and objectives.
- Provide on the job training and coaching sessions to staff of partner institutions working on public legal awareness, negotiation, media relations, social media, and similar topics.
- Assist partners to develop plans, strategies, policies, and procedures.
Improve and maintain the media relations and expertise of IDLO.
- Maintain an updated contact list and database of national and local media organizations.
- Keep abreast of trends, developments, prices, and available services in the media market.
- Ensure media representatives attend IDLO events when appropriate, including events by partner institutions sponsored by IDLO.
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Country Office and success in implementation of the IDLO projects.
|Knowledge and Skills:|
· Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain meaningful and positive relationships with justice sector institutions.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and execute communications strategies and campaigns at both national and local level, including media and social media platforms.
· Demonstrated ability to transfer skills and knowledge to government counterparts in line with adult learning principles.
· Deep knowledge of Afghan justice sector institutions, legal concepts, terminology, and language.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Ability to continuously keep current with Afghan justice sector trends and developments.
· Strong research skills and the ability to synthesize, draft and edit complex information.
· Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
· Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Proficient use of other ICT and internet software.
· Persistent in maintaining contacts and seeking cooperation.
· Patient and modest style of communication and petitioning.
· Thoughtfully leverages personal and organizational contacts.
· Asks questions, listens to others, and tailors language and tone to environment.
· Thinks strategically about long-term goals and maintains a wide perspective on the development of the justice system of Afghanistan.
· Works well with others and actively participates.
· Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation.
· Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences, and information with others.
· Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down and across) to develop and motivate others.
· Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives.
· Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate.
Terms & Conditions
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature, or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The application deadline is 19 November 2023 (23.59 Hrs. Kabul time)