- Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted 3 Days Ago
- job requisition id
Residential location (if applicable)
Staff Member / Affiliate Type
Regular > Regular Assignment
Remote work accepted
Target Start Date
Job Posting End Date
November 27, 2023
Standard Job Description
Senior IT Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior IT Assistant will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Officer and the technical supervision of an IT Officer at Sub/Branch/Multi-Country office level. The incumbent may play a supervisory role in overlooking the day-to-day activities of the Telecom Operators in the offices in the area of coverage. S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country of assignment as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners within the area of responsibility (AOR) to exchange information and to provide assistance.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist the office in implementing set standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
– Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem to prevent faults occurring.
– Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
– Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
– Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
– Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
– Add and remove users from the Networks.
– Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
– Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
– Assist in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
– Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
– Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
– Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
– Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
– To decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
– Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Telecommunication Information Technology.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant experience in the ICT field.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The incumbent will be required to have :
– strong VHF radio configuration skills.
– Hands on experience working with current versions of Microsoft O365 applications, SharePoint and network management applications.
– Hands on experience with network monitoring applications
– Hands on experience with fiber optic and point to point networks
– It is desirable for the incumbent to have some basic electrical knowledge that would be required for managing and communicating with specialized electrical vendors.
– Strong end user support skills
– Basic computer hardware repair skills
Required languages (expected Overall ability is at least B2 level):
Occupational Safety and Health Considerations
Nature of Position
The Senior IT Assistant will provide day-to-day IT support for UNHCR activities in Bhashan Char.
This support will be required to be provided both in the Bhasan Char main office as well as the other sites where UNHCR has ICT services. The incumbent will have a technical reporting line to the IT officer in Cox’s Bazar with whom they will have close cordination on technical issues.
The holder of this position will also be required to interact with different Government counterparts in Bhasan Char for as some IT services may be provided in Government offices.
The incumbent will also be responsible for liaising with relevant service providers for resolution of any service disruptions and escalate the incidents as may be required and will also be required to maintain an updated inventory of all ICT equipment and services.
As there are several UN common services, the incumbent will be required to have close collaboration with other UN agencies to ensure smooth running of such common projects and services.
Living and Working Conditions
Bhasan Char was formed within the last 20 years by the silt at the mouth of the Meghna River, the island currently has 120 brick-built cluster villages and 120 cyclone shelters.
The staff members will be working on this island for several weeks under the arrangement of mission travel from Cox Bazar. During the mission, staff are accommodated in private guest houses. Each has rooms with equipped bathrooms and common areas. Electricity relies on the generator and solar system. In addition, staff members should be prepared to operate under challenging transport arrangements from Bhasan Char to Chittagong weekly two times through a Navy ship. There is one general hospital in Bhasan Char supported by Bangladesh Govt, staff are receiving basic primary treatment from there.
Information Technology – Other, Telecommunications – Other
Accountability, Client & results orientation, Commitment to continuous learning, Communication, Organizational awareness, Planning & organizing, Teamwork & collaboration
UNHCR Salary Calculator
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the Assessment Exercises for the recruitment of the position, which may include Written/Technical tests and/or Interviews, as applicable for recruitment of the position.
This position doesn’t require a functional clearance