- Country: Ukraine
- Organization: UNDP
- Deadline: 2023-11-15
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Today Ukraine is facing the most serious challenges since becoming an independent state in 1991. The war has already resulted in significant loss of life, unprecedented displacement, internally and towards neighboring countries, and devastating destruction of infrastructure. The UN Ukraine Flash Appeal shows that at least 15.7 million people need emergency assistance and protection. Early projections indicate that if the war should continue in the medium to long term, up to 90% of the Ukrainian population could face poverty and extreme economic vulnerability, and the country’s socioeconomic progress could be set back by almost 20 years. In the short term, 62% of the population is at high risk of falling into poverty.
The complex humanitarian, development and peace challenges underscore the importance of programming that responds to the multiple dimensions of the crisis. Preventing deep-set reversals in development progress is why UNDP has launched a comprehensive programme to support the Government of Ukraine and UN-led humanitarian and crisis response. The UNDP Ukraine Resilience Building and Recovery Framework (RBRF) is grounded in working in partnership with sister UN entities and beyond. The Regional Development Programme (RDP) directly contributes to the achievement of RBRF’s key outcomes, while organizationally it is an integral part of a larger Inclusive Development Recovery and Peacebuilding Portfolio (IDRPB).
Targeting primarily the sub-national (oblast) and local (territorial community, city, or settlement) levels, the RDP outlines the responses to the multi-dimensional challenges faced by the Ukrainian communities, through their decentralized authorities, to manage effectively and efficiently early and post-recovery planning and implementation, while fostering sustained momentum around SDGs implementation and ensuring that the needs and experiences of women and men from all groups of society, especially the most vulnerable, are accounted for in this process. The Programme supports the local authorities to develop viable early recovery plans and implement them, and increasingly adopt sustainable (inclusive, gender-responsive, and green) governance practices that link SDGs implementation to crisis management and recovery.
In this context, UNDP is recruiting a Communications Analyst, who will lead and ensure the development and effective implementation of the RDP communication and outreach strategy under the guidance of the Regional Development Programme Manager and in close coordination and collaboration with the IDRPB and UNDP CO Communications team. The Communications Analyst will work under the matrix arrangement allocating his/her working time to projects implemented as part of the Regional Development Programme (hereinafter – the IDRPB-Regional Development projects). The Communications Analyst is responsible for the effective implementation of communication activities as part of IDRPB-Regional Development projects, consistent with UNDP rules and regulations, as well as donors’ requirements, and contributing to the achievement of UNDP CO programmatic goals.
The incumbent will promote UNDP’s mandate as a gender-responsive organization with zero tolerance to discriminatory and abusive behavior, including sexual harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse.
Scope of Work
Within the delegated authority and under the direct supervision of the Regional Development Programme Manager, the Communications Analyst will:
A. Ensure development and effective implementation of the IDRPB-Regional Development projects’ communication and outreach strategies:
- Support communications related activates of the IDRPB-Regional Development projects, including planning and executing relevant communication strategies and plans across multiple channels at national and regional levels, promoting civic education and community awareness where appropriate to the supported projects;
- Support preparation of articles, success stories, and talking points on various issues relevant to the programme/project(s) objectives;
- Substantially contribute to the preparation of donor reports; perform editing of projects reports and promotion materials and assure that projects promotion materials meet UN/UNDP and donors communications requirements;
- Serve as a focal person and liaise with communications personnel of other projects and UNDP Country Office; convey IDRPB-Regional Development projects news for publication at the UNDP website and social media;
- Ensure development and publication of the projects` promotion and information materials such as leaflets, brochures, newsletters, and ensure quality and timeliness of their production; organize interviews for various Mass Media as part of the programme/projects activities;
- Coordinate the work of relevant individual consultants contracted within the programme/project(s) for communications and/or monitoring related assignments; coordinate the production and printing agencies involved in creation of audio/video/animation/print products on the request of the programme/ projects under implementation;
- Contribute to the successful implementation of grant programmes launched as part of IDRPB-Regional Development projects by leading capacity building for the UNDP grantees in the area of communications and outreach, as well as providing them with advisory support and consultations if needed;
- Prepare press-announces and press-releases on the activities of the programme/ projects in both English and Ukrainian (or Russian if needed) languages for distribution to mass media; organize the press-clubs, press-tours, press-conferences, conferences and other media-related events as part of the programme/projects activities.
B. Contribute to the corporate advocacy and outreach efforts in collaboration with UNDP CO Communication Unit:
- Help to promote and disseminate the UNDP corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications;
- Help to organize and conduct public information campaigns on issues including UNDP activities, Sustainable Development Goals, and UN Reform;
- Help to increase coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through regular media contacts and provision of newsworthy information to the national public and, where possible, donors;
- Provide support to the organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc;
- Ensure effective responses to inquiries for information materials related to the supported projects.
C. Facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories;
- Provision of trainings for UNDP personnel and partner organizations, including but not limited to UNDP grantees supported under IDRPB-Regional Development projects, on internal and external gender-sensitive and conflict-sensitive communications for development, with a focus on photography, video, blogging, managing social media, working with press, etc. ;
- Participate in the training for the programme/project personnel for further professional growth through active learning.
The incumbent will directly report to the Regional Development Programme Manager and work in close coordination with Monitoring and Reporting Analyst, as well as UNDP CO Communications team.
LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Communications- Media Relations: Ability to develop media relations across all aspects of media work including relationships with media and preparing media materials such as messages.
Communications- Multimedia writing/editing: Ability to create and/or edit written content for multimedia.
General -Public Relations: Ability to build and maintain an overall positive public image for the organization, its mandate and its brand, while ensuring that individual campaigns and other communications and advocacy initiatives are supported in reaching the public.
Communications-Social Media management: Ability to represent and promote the UNDP brand in virtual communities and Network.
Communications- Digital Awareness and Literacy: Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
- Master’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or in another relevant field;
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism or in another relevant field with 2 additional years of relevant experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree.
Relevant work experience:
- Minimum 2 years with Master’s degree or 4 years with Bachelor’s degree of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations and/or communications;
- Experience of work at relevant positions in international organizations, programmes/projects is an asset.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build trust;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in the team, delivering through and with others.
Desired skills/Experience :
- Extensive experience in presenting in public forums, including high-level national stakeholders is an asset;
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with blogging and social media is an asset;
- Advanced knowledge of and experience with newsletter design, photography or video production will be an asset.
- Excellent knowledge of the English and Ukrainian languages (fluency in both spoken and written)
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ukraine, please click here: UN jobs in Ukraine