- Country: Syria
- Organization: UNDP
- Deadline: 2023-11-17
- No of Vacancies: N/A
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. Learn more at undp.org or follow at @UNDP
Recognizing the political realities of working in the Syrian Arab Republic, the overarching goal of UNDP is to strengthen the foundations for future sustainable peace and development to improve the quality of life of all Syrians, especially those currently left furthest behind, including women, youth, persons with disabilities, female-headed households, IDPs, returnees and host communities, prioritizing worst-affected areas. Considering the main challenges impeding recovery, namely contracting socioeconomic opportunities, collapsing essential services and weakened local governance capacities, environmental degradation and climate change, the country programme will focus on the three priorities outlined below. These priorities must be pursued simultaneously as they are mutually interdependent; one cannot be achieved without progress in the other.
UNDP country programme is anchored in the UNSF, the UNDP Strategic Plan 2022-2025 and the Sustainable Development Goals and operates fully in line with the current “Parameters and Principles of UN Assistance in Syria”. UNDP will prioritize its “resilience” signature solution, which is in line with its leadership of the resilience pillar of the Humanitarian Response Plan, which includes coordinating the early recovery and livelihoods sector. Within the framework of resilience and with a focus on the community level, UNDP will seek to reduce poverty and inequality, improve local governance, address environmental and energy hurdles to recovery and ensure that women and girls are being empowered across these areas.
Under the guidance and supervision of Operations Associate and Area Manager, the Driver provides reliable and safe driving services ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to Aleppo Area Manager and staff, programme staff in the CO, Consultants and Experts and UN staff on mission.
Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by
- Drive all sort of Vehicles especially Armored Vehicles – B6 class and above.
- Driving office vehicles for the transport of Aleppo Area Manager, staff, programme staff in the CO, consultants, experts, UN staff on mission, and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items.
- Meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport including visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Deliver and collect mail and documents, and perform other messenger responsibilities.
- Travelling to the neighboring countries (Lebanon, Jordan) in order to pick up & drop off staff and other visitors from/to the International airports of Beirut and Amman, including visa and customs formalities arrangement through the boarders.
Proper Use of Vehicle
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ability to use navigation applications, tracking systems and communication radios available within vehicles.
- Responsible for communication with UNDSS radio operators upon departure and arrival to destinations outside duty station and keep them informed on any updates related to the trip.
- Adhere to all related driving advice disseminated by Radio Rooms regarding the security situation, weather condition, SOPs of movement sand commit to deliver the safest outputs.
Day-to-day Maintenance of the assigned vehicle
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
Availability of documents/supplies
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
- Complete and maintain an up-to-date training related to security and security driving such as security defense driving, SSAFE, ETB, …and further related training
Perform Administrative Duties
- Assisting with pouch, procurement, workshops, and other administrative tasks as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act With Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies
- Vehicle Management: Knowledge of policy & procedures on fleet management
- Registery & Correspondence Management: Ability to collect, register, maintain and deliver mail and UNDP pouch; ability to manage archives
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise, and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience. Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
- UN Policy Ethics: Knowledge and understanding of the UN Staff Regulations and Rules and other policies relating to ethics and integrity.
- Knowledge Generation: Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need
- UNDP Representation: Ability to represent UNDP and productively share UNDP knowledge and activities; advocate for UNDP, its values, mission and work with various constituencies
- Customer Satisfaction / Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns.
- Secondary education is required.
- Valid Driver’s license is required.
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant work experience as a driver with a safe driving record is required.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair and maintenance is required.
- Basic and Advanced Security Training & BSAFE is an asset.
- Experience in the basic use of computers and relevant office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and ability to use web-based management and electronic log, file and/or scheduling systems.
- Knowledge of protocols and security requirements is an advantage.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Syria, please click here: UN jobs in Syria