- Country: Syria
- Organization: ILO
- Deadline: 2023-11-23
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Senior Operations and Local Security Assistant
Vacancy no.: BEY/DC/2023/31
Publication date: 02 November 2023
Application deadline (midnight local time): 23 November 2023
Job ID: 11389
Department: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Organization Unit: RO-Arab States/DWT-Beirut
Contract type: Short Term
Contract duration: 10 months starting January 2024
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to email@example.com.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A ten months fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 17,723 (USD) yearly.
The ILO is currently implementing employment-intensive infrastructure recovery works in the city of Aleppo and intends to expand its activities through a launch of a new project in November 2023 in underserved rural Aleppo, namely in Al Khafsa and Maskanah, with the aim to addressing the incapacitating impact of winter conditions on underserved communities to enhance their resilience. This will be achieved through the survey, clearance, and rehabilitation of critical road arteries, to allow access to basic services and livelihood opportunities.
The rehabilitation of rural feeder roads is estimated to benefit approximately 88,500 inhabitants in and around the areas. The work pertains to the repair of potholes and cracks on roadways as well as concrete lining, culvert repair, and gabion erosion control on sideways against flood risk mitigation. The improved feeder roads enhance humanitarian and agricultural market access. This in turn creates decent jobs and incomes needed for the winter in the short-term (winter 2023/2024), while building resilience against future winters.
Under the direct supervision of the National Project Coordinator and the EIIP Technical Officer, and the general supervision of the ILO Syria Country Coordinator, the position will be based in the ILO project office in Aleppo and the incumbent will perform the following tasks:
Description of Duties
- Assist the project team in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country;
- Liaise, as appropriate for the ILO, through UNDSS Aleppo with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation.
- Help to assess the security situation at the duty station for the ILO project team. Verify security information and procedure that require a constant monitoring of the situation.
- Maintain regular contacts with UNDSS and Country Security Cell.
- Coordinate with UN MAS to support their implementation of mine action, awareness raising against EO risks, and hazard mapping in the target locations, and update the ILO project team.
- May be requested to provide technical assistance for SMT meetings.
- Maintain the Security Plan, including updating staff lists;
- Assist in the preparation and review of the ILO Security Plan;
- Provide support during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
- Assist in monitoring compliance with Security Risk Management (SRM) measures established for the duty station.
- Report security incidents affecting ILO staff and project, as well as offices and assets. Prepare draft security reports, such as Security Incident Report and Security Assessments.
Description of Duties (continued)
- Organize and deliver briefing sessions on security awareness and preparedness and provide security orientation to newly assigned staff members.
- Assist in ensuring Residential Security Measures (RSM) and office safety, and security emergency/disaster preparedness.
- Provide general administrative assistance to the ILO project team such as:
- Maintain routine and confidential correspondence, files/documents.
- Maintain full contact details in relation to ILO staff and activities.
- Arrange appointments, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion, and take minutes and/or notes at meetings related to safety & security as required.
Description of Duties (continued)
- Perform other security-related tasks assigned by the project team:
- Conduct security evaluations and assists for the implementation of security measures for the residences (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards – MORSS) of ILO staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Obtain necessary approvals from authorities to allow access to the target areas, including the security coordination thereof;
- Establish and maintains ILO warden system and keeps update of information related to ILO offices and residences;
- Handle UN IDs;
- Maintain liaison with security companies used for ILO security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force;
- Ensure all security and communication equipment in the armoured vehicles is operational, regularly checked and updated and properly maintained.
- When required, perform safe and reliable driving duties for ILO staff, senior level officials and other authorized personnel and visitors. Meet officials and visitors at the airport including assisting, where necessary, with protocol, visa and customs formalities;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned by the project team.
Completion of secondary school education.
A Technical or bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is an advantage.
Minimum of 6 years of experience in security, preferably in a police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO as a local security advisor is an advantage.
Excellent command of written and spoken English and Arabic.
In addition to the ILO core competencies [Integrity and transparency, Sensitivity to diversity, Orientation to learning and knowledge sharing, Client orientation, Communication, Orientation to change, Takes responsibility for performance, Quality orientation, Collaboration], this position requires:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes and handling check points with required courtesy;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Possession of a valid driver’s license;
- Ability to deal steadily with unexpected circumstances or delays. Discretion and respect for confidentiality.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Syria, please click here: UN jobs in Syria