Consultant – Documentation of best practices and lessons learnt for CARB project
- Country: South Sudan
- Organization: IRC
- Deadline: N/A
- No of Vacancies: N/A
- Requisition ID: req46506
- Job Title: Consultant – Documentation of best practices and lessons learnt for CARB project
- Sector: Monitoring & Evaluation
- Employment Category: Consultant
- Open to Expatriates: Yes
- Location: Juba, South Sudan
- Work Arrangement:
CARB Program Overview
Complementary Action for Resilience Building (CARB) project is a food security project funded by United States Agency for International Development (USAID), Bureau of Humanitarian Assistance (BHA). It is a three-year project running from 15th January 2021 to 14th January 2024, with a goal to achieve improved food security through adding value to existing pipelines in the target areas. The project is designed to reach vulnerable people living in eight counties (six in Unity and two in Western Bahr El Ghazal (WBEG) in South Sudan.
CARB project is implemented by five international non-government organizations lead by Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and its partners Danish Refugee Council (DRC), International Rescue Council (IRC), ACTED and its partner REACH. The integrated, multi-sectoral program includes activities that together restore rural livelihoods and food production; improve maternal and child nutrition; facilitate rapid humanitarian response and resilience coordination; and improve community resilience and social cohesion. NRC hosts the consortium management unit (CMU) which is responsible for overall coordination and facilitation of harmonized strategy, planning, activity implementations and reporting.
To achieve its goal, the CARB project focuses on four purposes outlined below:
- Restored rural livelihoods and increased food production.
- Improved food utilization through strengthened nutritional practices.
- Rapid response mechanisms (RRM) and humanitarian and resilience coordination platforms are strengthened to support shock-affected populations.
- Enhanced community resilience and social cohesion.
Objective of the Study
The main objective of this assignment is to identify, generate and document best practices and lessons learned during the implementation of the project and share the results for replication and dissemination.
The study will document the major best practices and lessons learned by the project team during the project implementation. The learnings will be shared and advocated amongst concerned stakeholders for further replication. The specific objectives of the assignment are:
- To identify, generate and document lessons learned (what is working and what is not working) throughout the project life cycle.
- To produce and document best practices of successful interventions in the form of narrative for showcasing to the wider stakeholders.
- To recommend how similar multi-sectoral projects can be improved in future.
The consultant will be responsible for delivering the following:
Deliverable 1: Desk review of project documents and produce and submit an inception report with clear methodologies showing how to carry out the assignment and the timelines for implementation. Development of data collection tools in collaboration with the technical teams and lead on ground data collection at field. Share the raw data with the IRC/Consortium for future reference.
Deliverable 2: Draft and submit Final report with:
- The best practices and lessons learned on the different components of the project including, but not limited to:
- Dike construction and resource mobilization for flood disaster risk management,
- Women protection and empowerment initiative,
- Business skill trainings for youth through TVET approach,
- Micro/small business enterprises
- Promotion of group savings and loan for income diversification,
- Inter/intra community peace dialogue,
- CMDRR Committee and Peace committee
- Climate adaptive resilience farming,
- Farmer field school and/or armer market association (e.g seed multiplication, vegetable and crop producer groups)
- Evidence-based best practices through adaptation of Gender Equality, and sector integration strategies.
- Integration of VSLA in support groups
- Male involvement in nutrition interventions
- Dietary diversification
- Integration of nutrition and hygiene interventions.
- Rapid response component
- The final list of areas for documentation will be agreed between IRC, Consortium partners, donor and the Consultant.
Lines of Communication, Supervision, and management the lead consultant will lead the data collection in close coordination with the IRC M&E and CARB sector technical Coordinators/Managers. Additionally, the consultant will be expected to present the findings to the CARB Consortium.
The study is expected to start by 15th November 2023. The Consultant will be required to submit a final study report by the 30th of December 2023 considering comments, recommendations, and feedback from the project team.
Required documents and qualifications (individual consultant/firm)
- Master’s degree/ Advanced university degree in social sciences, international development, development studies or related field.
- The consultant should have experience in documentation of best practice and lesson learnt for multi-sector programs.
- The consultant should have at least five years of experience in the field conducting similar nature of assignment.
- Consultant has demonstrated excellent analytical and writing skills in English.
How to Apply
Submit the following:
- Technical proposal which should include.
- CVs of proposed consultant(s)
- Brief explanation about the lead consultants with particular emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work
- Understanding of TOR and the task to be accomplished
- Proposed methodology
- Draft work/implementation plan
- Individuals’ personal capacity statement
- 3 references
- Samples of reports of previous work conducted.
- Financial proposal: Summary budget to complete contract, including: 1) estimated total number of days required; 2) daily rates for consultant(s); and 3) travel and accommodation costs in Juba and field locations.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in South Sudan, please click here: UN jobs in South Sudan