- Country: Sudan
- Organization: UNHCR
- Deadline: November 15, 2023
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Standard Job Description
Associate Administrative Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Associate Administrative Officer is responsible for supporting the Office/Bureau in the implementation of general administrative and resource management tasks. S/he will work quite independently on regular assignments with an oversight from the supervisor, who will provide general guidance and work plans for identifying work priorities and appropriate approaches; work is controlled for meeting expected results.
S/he will establish and maintain efficient administrative control mechanisms to ensure compliance with UN administrative, financial and human resources rules and procedures. Contacts on administrative/budgetary related issues are mainly with Sections/Units/Offices within the organization both at HQ and in the Field and with local suppliers/services to ensure provision of services and resolution of difficult problems.
Frequent external contacts with counterparts in other organizations or at working level in national Governments on issues of importance to Organization’s programmes. He/she acts as adviser or representative of the Organization with authority to discuss problems and seek common ground on which to recommend solutions based on predetermined guidelines provided by higher authority.
The incumbent directly supervises general service staff.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Contribute to the provision of resources (human, material and services) necessary to support the day-to-day activities of the staff in the office.
– Monitor the day-to-day personnel and administrative operations of the office.
– Provide advice on personnel and administrative policies and procedures.
– Assist with the implementation of processes and procedures to improve and strengthen internal controls in line with UNHCR rules and regulations.
– Participate in the recruitment and appointment process, and assist with administrative formalities concerning local General Service staff.
– Coordinate training and capacity-building activities to staff in administrative related areas.
– Assist with the preparation of staffing and administrative budget requirements for the office.
– Assist in the competitive procurement process for selecting, awarding and issuing local contracts, in line with UNHCR regulations, rules and procedures.
– Facilitate the mission travel of staff, including following up on travel authorizations, bookings, tickets.
– Monitor the quality and timeliness of goods and services delivered to the office.
– Manage contracts and relations with suppliers.
– In coordination with Human Resources and Field Security, undertake periodic reviews to ensure that the Office premises are set up and staff accommodation are managed in line with the organizational policies and any related issues are brought to the attention of DHR.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Public or Business Administration; Economics; or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Work experience in at least one of the following fields: Human Resources, Administration, Budget, Finance, and Procurement. Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications.
Working experience of at least one year in an intergovernmental organization (United Nations or similar). Good knowledge of UNHCR’s administrative rules and procedures. Working experience with PeopleSoft/Oracle Financial and/or HR modules.
FI-General Financial Management
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The candidate should possess strong administrative skills combined with proven knowledge and experience in Accounting and Finance. Apart from excellent functional competencies, the incumbent is also expected to possess proven managerial skills. He/she directly supervises the team of general service staff under administration, finance, HR, ICT and transport functions. The candidate is expected to supervise a team of up to 10 staff. Prior knowledge of key areas in Administration such travel, guesthouse, fleet management and duty of care issues will be desired. Experience working in a high-risk duty station and excellent knowledge of English(written & spoken) and a local language would be desired.
Nature of the Position:
In an operation that is always in a volatile and unpredictable mode, the incumbent will be expected to ensure an active and effective execution of admin/finance, human resources and ICT support to the Sub-Office Kadugli, which also covers Field Office El Fula, FU El Obeid and FU Abu Jubaiha.
The incumbent will work mainly independently in the Kadugli Sub-Office, under the supervision of the Head of Sub-Office, and close co-operation with the Senior Admin Officer in Country Office. There would be need to occasionally undertake field missions to the above-mentioned field offices. The incumbent would be supervising other admin staff in Sub-Office Kadugli and also overseeing the admin functions in the above mentioned offices.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Sudan, please click here: UN jobs in Sudan