- Country: Sudan
- Organization: UNHCR
- Deadline: November 15, 2023
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Standard Job Description
Assistant Field Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Assistant Field Officer is normally supervised by the Senior Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
The incumbent does not normally have any direct supervisory role. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office. S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assess the needs of persons of concern in the AoR and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district authorities and implementing partners.
– Promote and monitor the implementation of assistance projects.
– Report regularly on rate of flow of new arrivals and estimate expected influx based on interviews with persons of concern.
– In co-ordination with implementing partners, assist with the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Keep track of cases of detention; register applicants for voluntary repatriation and family reunion.
– Assist in the preparation of monthly sectoral reports and submit material for preparation of periodic project monitoring reports and year-end reports.
– Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
– Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P1/NOA – 1 year relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Law Political Sciences or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
UNHCR Protection Learning Programme
UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge of refugee law.
Good knowledge of UNHCR¿s programmes.
PG-Stakeholder management and coordination with Implementing Partners (Gov/NGO/Corporate)
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
PG-Programme Management (programme cycles and reporting standards)
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The incumbent for this post should have
• Experience managing and supervising team. Ability to demonstrate self-initiative, self-discipline, and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as to work effectively and respectfully within and across teams
• Thorough knowledge of UNHCR’s mandate and protection and assistance responses relating to refugees, IDPs, and affected communities, as well as related policies and principles.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of the IASC framework and the UN Cluster Approach
• Good knowledge of protection sector policies, principles, and responses
• Proven track record of program/budget management
• Sound understanding of the political context in Sudan and the interagency coordination structure
• Political acumen and diplomatic skills, with the ability to liaise with a variety of internal and external partners in the Field Office
• Strong research and analytical skills, with a proven track record of clear and succinct drafting of internal/external documents
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to work under pressure and with security situation and prioritize multiple tasks
• Proficiency with MS Office applications (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of/experience with databases (an asset)
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Sudan, please click here: UN jobs in Sudan