- Country: Sudan
- Organization: UNHCR
- Deadline: November 15, 2023
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Standard Job Description
Senior IT Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior IT Assistant will work under the direct supervision of a Senior Officer and the technical supervision of an IT Officer at Sub/Branch/Multi-Country office level. The incumbent may play a supervisory role in overlooking the day-to-day activities of the Telecom Operators in the offices in the area of coverage. S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within the country of assignment as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners within the area of responsibility (AOR) to exchange information and to provide assistance.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
– Assist the office in implementing set standards for applications that meets the needs of the users and supports the overall Information and Communication Technology.
– Monitor and maintain the LAN, Network Servers, Routers, Printers, LAN Points, Switches, Patch panels, Access points, HF and VHF bases, HF and VHF relay stations, Satellite Modem to prevent faults occurring.
– Carry out missions for new installations and routine maintenance tours of ICT equipment.
– Ensure that ICT problem recovery is done as quickly as possible and make regular system back-ups.
– Assist with the installation of the software packages, basic repair/maintenance of computer hardware, HF and VHF equipment.
– Train UNHCR staff on email system, utilization of VHF handhelds, telephone system.
– Add and remove users from the Networks.
– Maintain the inventory of ICT equipment and keep track of movements of ICT equipment.
– Draft mails and memoranda on ICT matters.
– Assist in the drafting of technical documentation on radio equipment operating procedures
– Certify invoices and delivery notes and pass for payment.
– Evaluate needs for upgrading and eventually replacing ICT equipment in the field, to meet with UNHCR standards.
– Select the most efficient and economic means for the transmission of messages, taking into consideration the nature and priority of communications to be transmitted.
– Carry out administrative duties, within the area of competence as assigned.
– To decide on appropriate resolution to incidents.
– Escalating incidents where they cannot be resolved at the office level.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5- 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Telecommunication Information Technology.
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Relevant experience in the ICT field.
Hands-on experience with wireless and VoIP systems, electricity, generators, lightning protection an asset.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Desired Candidate Profile
The Senior IT Assistant is expected to provide routine IT support services to the UNHCR office in Port Sudan and its International and National staff in line with UNHCR Global IT Standards. S/he has working relationships with UNHCR staff members in the office and other offices within Sudan as well as with staff of UN agencies and other UNHCR partners in Port Sudan.
In addition to having knowledge and experience in UNHCR IT systems, the incumbent should have proven competencies in:
• ICT infrastructure installation and support in LAN/WAN environment
• VHF/HF and satellite radio installations, programming and maintenance in vehicles and handheld.
• Maintaining a business continuity plan and security communication
• Supporting end-user devices and user applications in the Microsoft Windows environment
• Keeping communication and a positive work environment with the staff, UN agencies, UNHCR Partners, and Government entities.
• Managing IT and telecoms inventory
• Political awareness, communication and negotiation skills are essential to handle complex challenges with government regulators and security organs concerning telecommunication systems.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Sudan, please click here: UN jobs in Sudan