Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security Adviser (CSA) and with the general supervision of the Chief SIOC and the direct supervision of the Senior/Supervisor of the Security Operations Center (SOC), a SOCO assists in preparing reports, performing as a shift operator (day/evening/night), monitoring the movements of UN vehicles and communicating and receiving messages through VHF, HF, fax, e-mail and telephones on 24/7 basis with the UN offices/personnel within the duty station/Syria.
Duties and Responsibilities
1.)Providing reports and security related reports and disseminate as per guidelines:
- Drafting reports and security related documents with standard English language;
- Maintaining and updating security incidents database;
- Monitoring the news on all sorts of media and producing the daily situation report;
- Disseminate timely security updates/advisories;
- Keeping supervisors informed of any emergencies or breaking news in Syria & the region;
- Providing supervisors with required Maps using Google/other maps.
- Providing supervisors with required PowerPoint presentations.
- Providing supervisors with Excel analysis as required.
- Providing supervisors with analytical reports for the duty station/country, including:
- Security incidents
- Radio check reports
- Reports of the radio signal quality
- Reports of agencies compliance with radio communication
- Reports of the radio network maintenance requirement
2.) Working within a shift schedule with other staff:
Performing as a shift operator (day/evening/night) under the immediate Supervisor of SOC, and with the overall directions of other supervisor(s) as determined by the CSA.
3.) Liaising and communicating with staff of UN agencies on safety and security issues:
- Liaising with the agency staff regularly to know the vehicle movements outside the duty station city. Monitor the movements of UN vehicles and ensure efficient communications with traveling staff;
- Communicating and receiving messages through VHF, HF, fax, e-mail and telephones on daily basis with UN offices within duty station/Syria;
- Ensuring the ability to inter-communicate with all other networks of UN, International organizations and NGOs in Syria, in order to implement fast coordination via radio for operational and security purposes;
- Activating warden system and passing vital security information including headcounts as advised by the FSCO, Chief SIOC or CSA or DO/ASC;
- Ensuring that all network users are following the rules for radio traffic in order to adhere to the discipline of using networks, call signs, English language and that all systems are compliant to the regional frequency band plan;
- Performing radio check with VHF and sat phone according to CSA/Chief SIOC guidance.
4.) Performing administrative duties as required:
- Keeping files, records, faxes, and all documents and issues related to work authorized and kept in confidential place;
- Keeping the supervisors up to date with all procedures, challenges and faults in the radio network and undertaking any necessary actions to maintain order in the system;
- Ensuring discipline in the SOC and assisting all visiting UN staff to SOC in their official business;
- Updating security contact lists on regular basis, as required.
|Expected Demonstration of Competencies
|LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
|LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
|LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
|Adapt with Agility
|LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
|Act with Determination
||LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
|Engage and Partner
|LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
|Enable Diversity and Inclusion
|LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
|People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
||Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
||Customer Satisfaction/Client Management
||Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs.
||Security incident management & monitoring
||Ability to provide adequate response to security incidents/events
|Digital & Innovation
|Knowledge of social media and ability to advise the use of social media for development outcomes
Required Skills and Experience
High School Diploma.
First-level University degree in IT or administration or any related field.
At least 4 years (High School) or 1 year (Bachelor) of progressively responsible in security or IT context or related field.
Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is an advantage.
Fluency in English and Arabic are required.
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Willing to work at night, weekends and holidays
- Physically fit
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.