- Country: South Sudan
- Organization: UNOPS
- Deadline: 2023-11-16
- No of Vacancies: N/A
- Job categoriesEngineering
- Vacancy codeVA/2023/B5304/26969
- Department/officeAFR, ETMCO, South Sudan
- Duty stationJuba, South Sudan
- Contract typeLocal ICA Specialist
- Contract levelLICA Specialist-8
- DurationOpen-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
- Application period06-Nov-2023 to 16-Nov-2023
- Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
- Please note that UNOPS will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind.
UNOPS Ethiopia Multi-Country Office (ETMCO) South Sudan exciting career opportunity.Since July 2020, UNOPS ETMCO – has been leading the implementation of a three-year World bank funded multi million USD Project “Enhancing Community Resilience and Local Governance (ECRP)’ in South Sudan with the Objective is to improve access to basic services and strengthen community institutions in South Sudan.
The ECRP is a follow on Project to the Local Governance and Service Delivery Project (LGSDP) that was implemented in South Sudan from 2014 and involved the transfer of block grants from the national government directly to county government with the Objective of helping develop an annual intergovernmental fiscal transfer system for local development.
The ECRP Project is being implemented by UNOPS and the International Organisation for Migration, with UNOPS being the primary grant recipient and responsible authority for the establishment and implementation of the Project Management Unit (PMU) whose primary tasks will include: project management, stakeholder and communication management, fiduciary and procurement management, results management and risk management. UNOPS will be the grant recipient and will be directly accountable to the World Bank in all aspects related project delivery (Project Management – Social and Environmental Safeguards, Fiduciary Oversight and Procurement Planning, Infrastructure Quality and Standards; Project Implementation – of community infrastructure as per agreed scope; as well as directly liaising with the Government of South Sudan).
The ECRP comprises the following four components
Component 1: Community Infrastructure and Services-this will involve the implementation of sub-projects selected through an open menu approach where communities will be allowed to choose freely, in a participatory manner, based on their needs.
Component 2: Local Institution Strengthening which is split into two parts: community institution strengthening and county government strengthening.
Component 3: Project Management and Learning
Component 4: Contingency emergency response
The ECRP is being implemented in target counties in South Sudan. The community infrastructure sub-projects are divided by area and implemented by IOM and UNOPS separately.
The Civil Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that all project work is of a high quality and completed within the timeframe set by the donor.
UNOPS – ETMCO South Sudan is recruiting for this position: Civil Engineer to be based Juba South Sudan.
Qualified female (women) and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are highly encouraged to apply.
The Civil Engineer will report directly to the Senior Project manager for the ECRP Project and s/he will be accountable for the following specific responsibilities
Feasibility Study and Design
- Be involved in the assessment of the site(s) for design, costing and preparation of tender documents;
- Actively involve and take responsibility for the preparation of field assessment reports, designs and tender document preparation;
- Prepare tender documents such as the bill of quantities, breakdown of rates, specifications, drawings, particular conditions, schedules, work programme;
- Engage in geotechnical investigations and associated designs.
- Liaise and work with the Procurement Unit to review, incorporate comments and re-submit
Invitation to bid (ITB) documents;
- Follow up and ascertain publication of ITBs;
- Prepare and lead bid clarification meetings;
- Prepare and issue minutes of clarification meetings and any addendum;
- Lead joint site visits and clarify any issues raised;
- Participate in the bid evaluation panel and prepare evaluation reports and recommendations.
- Be involved in the preparation of Quality Assurance Manual and Quality Control Plans;
- At initial stages, perform the necessary reviews on design documents;
- Actively engage in the design review process and make recommendations for necessary changes in design, drawings and quantities;
- Develop and issue detailed tasks to all members of the team including inspection, checking, approval, reporting and record-keeping procedures;
- Ensure all site clearances, certificates and site possession are in place prior to the commencement of mobilisation;
- Regular supervision and inspection of construction works, monitoring of progress and quality of works, reporting of daily progress; mobilization of subordinates in daily work activities; review of contractors work plan and method statements;
- Measurement of works and checking/verification in quantities of completed works / contractors works;
- Ensuring all completed works are in accordance with design and quality requirements. Provision of all necessary documentation and test results to confirm;
- Identification of site/work package risks, preparation of risk assessments and implementation of approved risk mitigation measures;
- Management of all works on-site to ensure compliance with UNOPS Policy and Procedures and contractual requirements;
- Management, documentation and reporting of site expenditure and costs, including, but not limited to, contractor progress claims, casual labour payment and procurement of local materials;
- Operational planning, including preparation of plans, schedules, procedures and budget for recruitment, mobilisation, operations, health, safety and environment, security and site closure;
- Preparation and maintenance of site or work package records, including documentation of all phases of the project lifecycle;
- Preparation of periodic and ad-hoc progress and security reports. Immediate reporting to management of all issues affecting progress or security;
- Evaluation of Contract Variations and Extension of Time Notices, must address at a minimum the scope of work, bill of materials, costing and time implications;
- Preparation of Audit Documentation in accordance with design, contract and UNOPS procedure requirements. Preparation and implementation of audit schedule;
- Ensuring good working relationships with local authorities, representatives and stakeholders are developed and maintained;
- Preparation of all site/work package closure reports and handover documentation;
- Ensuring the demobilisation workforce and closure of the site is performed in accordance with UNOPS policies and procedures and all contractual requirements;
- Preparation of site instructions, including technical and quality specifications and design works.
- Preparation of draft contractual correspondence, interpreting contract conditions and specifications, monitoring the progress of work, preparation work plan, S-curve, Minutes of Meeting, etc;
- Perform periodic inspections during defect liability period and joint inspection and certification at completion;
- Prepare final project account and recommendations to the employer based on lessons learned;
- Performing any other duty deemed necessary by the Line Manager.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Prepare and maintain proper records of work progress and project reports;
- Report project delivery progress against the works programme, advise the concerned staff and contractor on corrective measures, if appropriate, and submit periodic progress reports in accordance with donor guidelines;
- Assist in the preparation of monthly payment certificates for contractors;
- Maintain site journals and other site specific documents;
- Timely delivery of all site construction documentation;
- Prepare periodic and ad-hoc reports to relevant section within reporting deadlines;
- Prepare and chair weekly, monthly and extraordinary meetings on a timely basis.
- Under the guidance of the Project/Line Manager, prepare plans/drawings needed in the contract documents, project reports and during project implementation;
- Submission of all data and reports collected during the course of the assignment;
- Satisfactory management of construction contracts that avoids construction disputes and/or claims.
- Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering preferably Civil or Construction or related field is required.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, preferably Civil or Construction Management is an asset.
- A Technical/Professional Diploma in engineering or related field with additional two (2) years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master or Bachelor degree.
- Certification in PRINCE2 or other Project Management Discipline is desirable;
- Certification and use of design ,drafting and planning software is desirable
- Minimum two (2) years of relevant experience in the engineering and construction industry involving design, construction contracts administration and/or construction supervision of buildings and preferably health facilities is required.
- Previous experience in post-conflict/ developing country contexts required;
- Experience in managing contraction activities an asset
- Experience in Infrastructure engineering design an asset
- Knowledge of the UN system and familiarity with UNOPS procedures is desirable
- Fluency in written and spoken English required.
- Knowledge of Arabic language desired.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract level: LICA 8 – Specialist
Contract duration: Open ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
This is a local position, and hence is open to South Sudanese nationals only.
- Please note that UNOPS does not accept unsolicited resumes.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and is committed to equal employment opportunity. Our workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, races, gender identities, sexual orientations, and abilities. UNOPS seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce.
- Qualified women and candidates from groups which are underrepresented in the UNOPS workforce are encouraged to apply. These include in particular candidates from racialized and/or indigenous groups, members of minority gender identities and sexual orientations, and people with disabilities.
- We would like to ensure all candidates perform at their best during the assessment process. If you are shortlisted and require additional assistance to complete any assessment, including reasonable accommodation, please inform our human resources team when you receive an invitation.
Terms and Conditions
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post.
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (they take around 4 hours to complete) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS. For more information on a retainer contract here.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter and UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential personnel. Recruitment in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in South Sudan, please click here: UN jobs in South Sudan