- Country: Ethiopia
- Organization: UNHCR
- Deadline: November 21, 2023
- No of Vacancies: N/A
– Assist the supervisor in managing and coordination of the education sector.
– Assist in monitoring of implementation of the education strategy and activities at all levels in formal and non-formal education sectors.
– Assist in providing regular reports on educational activities, achievements and challenges.
– Conduct regular visits to community schools, carry out assessments and write recommendation.
– Assist in identification of persons with special educational needs and support implementation of inclusive and special needs education.
– Support and promote quality education data collection, analysis and reporting by assisting the implementation of Education Management Information System (EMIS).
– Ensure education level of refugee children are updated in the UNHCR database for tracking of education achievement of refugee children.
– Assess needs for services of persons of concern, as related to education responses.
– Systematically promote and comply with the Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) policy and other priorities such as the HIV/AIDS policy.
– Liaise on behalf of UNHCR with external partners like Education Ministry on education matters.
– As requested participate in local humanitarian and development sector working groups to support and ensure all refugee education support programming at country level is extended, amplified and reported against sector development goals and humanitarian partners and funding serve system strengthening.
– Foster inter-sectoral linkages and coordination with child protection, GBV, gender, community services, livelihoods/economic inclusion and health, among others, and provide specialist advice for other sectors, to ensure that they fully integrate education related concerns in their planning.
– Monitor implementation of education programmes and provide guidance on orientation.
– Assist in the planning and coordination of UNHCR’s role concerning education.
– Identify training needs and train UNHCR staff, sister UN agency staff, NGOs, and Ministry of Education officials on refugee education priorities and identified topics.
– Develop and disseminate relevant tools to support UNHCR staff and partners in Country Office(s).
– Join joint assessment missions in emergencies to minimise the time refugee children and youth spend out of education (ideally a maximum of three months after arrival).
– Assist in preparing and drafting of education input in key internal and external documents and reports.
– Monitor and support all existing formal and informal education programs, including implementing partner and community-based schools, and informal classes.
– Regularly update and share information related to education, utilizing data collection to identify gaps, assess trends, and design interventions.
– Monitor and suggest necessary adjustments to the annual Education Workplan and budget.
– Review education proposals and monitor existing agreements with partners; in addition, work closely with the community to enhance quality and ownership across community-run education programs.
– Liaise and support partners in organizing teacher training.
– Perform specific administrative operational/control tasks for project/programme activities.
– Provide inputs for funding submissions, appeals and reports.
– Represent UNHCR in monitoring of education projects.
– Issue documents and reports for clearance by the supervisor.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G6 – 3 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
Education; Social Sciences; Business Administration;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
– Demonstrated work experience in education programmes.
– Field experience in education programme implementation and coordination in humanitarian and/or development contexts.
– Experience working with Governments, Ministry of Education and other line Ministries.
– Strong inter-personal skills in collaboration and coordination.
– Demonstrated capacity to work with minimum supervision.
– Demonstrated work experience in refugee education programmes.
– Knowledge and experience of UNHCR policies and standards.
– Experience in the area of child protection.
– Experience with educational research, teaching or education administration.
*PR-Refugee Protection Principles and Framework
ED-Technical support to education programmes and proposals
CO-Drafting and Documentation
TR-Training – Virtual and face to face
ED-Global EiE standards and implementation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia