Director, New York Board and External Relations Office (NYBER)
- Country: USA
- Organization: UNOPS
- Deadline: 2023-12-12
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Summary of functions:
- Executive Board and Governance
- External Relations
- Team Leadership
1. Executive Board and Governance
- Perform the functions of UNOPS Executive Board Secretary, including representing UNOPS at the Executive Board Bureau.
- Advise the Executive Director on all matters relating to the Executive Board.
- Liaise with Permanent Missions to the United Nations, especially members of the Executive Board; and governance and oversight bodies of the UN system.
- Organize the business of Board sessions, including the preparations for and servicing of the sessions.
- Support UNOPS HQ with input to key governance reports such as the UN Secretary General’s annual report, QCPR etc.
- Undertake or arrange for briefings of Board members on the work of UNOPS and participate in field visits of the Executive Board.
- Provide information on, and interpretation of, decisions taken by the Executive Board for key stakeholders.
- Lead the maintenance and updating of records of the deliberations and decisions of the Executive Board.
- Ensure effective preparation and support for the UN Chief Executives Board (CEB), High Level Committee on Management, Programmes (HLCM & HLCP) and UN Sustainable Development Group (UNSDG) together with relevant HQ units.
2. External Relations
- At the request of the Executive Director, represent UNOPS at high-level partner meetings in New York in close coordination with the Partnership and Liaison Group.
- Act as the focal point for the MOU with the UN Secretariat, and relationships with UN Organizations based in New York in close coordination with the New York Cluster.
- Support the UNOPS participation in New York-based forums of Member States (such as Small Island Developing States (SIDS), Least Developed Countries (LDC’s), G77 etc)
- Identify opportunities and advise the UNOPS Executive Office and Management Team on developing and engaging on related opportunities across United Nations Headquarters, ECOSOC, UNGA etc.
- Support advocacy, public information and communication activities in collaboration with the Communications Group, Partnerships and Liaison Group and other relevant corporate units.
- Oversee the negotiation of Host Country Agreements and Accreditation of UNOPS representatives globally. Maintain records and diplomatic correspondence for both.
3. Team Leadership
- In collaboration with the team, establish annual objectives and targets, performance measurements, standards and results expected.
- Recommend and/or determine priorities and supervise the implementation of work plans to manage the strategic and operational risks.
- Monitor implementation, oversee progress toward annual objectives and take decisions to ensure the delivery of results as planned.
- Operate within the defined limits of authority on matters of Finance, Procurement and Human Resources and subject to any limits or conditions that may be imposed as per delegated
- Plan, recruit, manage and develop a flexible workforce with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance, and ensure gender and geographical diversity.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Business Administration, Public Administration, International Development, Political Science, International Relations or related studies.
- A Bachelor degree (or equivalent) combined with 2 additional years of relevant work experience can be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree (total of 12 years of experience).
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in working in multilateral organizations or bilateral diplomacy, including 5 years in a governance, policy or liaison function , is required.
- Experience working with a network of development partners, governing bodies, and donors, is required.
- Demonstrated understanding of UN system organizations, rules and regulations is required.
- Broad understanding of UNOPS mission and its partners, UN, as well as UN mandate is an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of additional official UN languages is an advantage
If you are looking for more UN jobs in the USA, please click here: UN jobs in the USA