Legal Aid Officer
- Country: Ukraine
- Organization: DRC
- Deadline: 2023-11-21
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, the Legal Officer will:
- Provide high quality one-on-one legal counseling to conflict-affected population on their legal rights and remedies in the displacement context
- Organize and facilitate community-level group awareness-raising programs on recent legal developments addressing the information and legal needs of IDPs and conflict-affected populations
- Provide administrative and other para-legal assistance to enable IDP and conflict-affected population to access welfare benefits, livelihood opportunities and government and non-government benefits and privileges
- Support preparation of monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports
- Participate in coaching and capacity building of the implementing partners
- Contribute contextual and needs analysis as well as recommendations/feedback relevant to developing new programmatic avenues and innovative approaches
- Participate in analyzing legal issues for drafting information materials, advocacy letters, briefing notes,
- Assist in conducting legal and protection assessments as part of DRC field office staff
- Facilitate and follow up incoming and outgoing protection referral cases
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings
- Coordinate with other departments in DRC to facilitate referrals and information sharing
- Contribute to and provide field-related inputs for proposals for funding for new projects
- Provide regular reports to the Protection Manager
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Protection Manager relevant to the achievement of protection objectives.
Required experience and competencies:
- Minimum two (2) years of proven legal experience, preferably in the field of humanitarian response for an NGO
- License to practice law
- Experience working with vulnerable and conflict-affected people.
- Comfortable in speaking about sensitive topics and working with people in distress.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with vulnerable individuals, staff members, and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple responsibilities.
- Strong sense of personal integrity and understanding of confidentiality and ethics.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange, Windows operating systems.
- Good English language skills preferred.
- Ukrainian and Russian language skills required.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
Bachelors degree in law
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ukraine, please click here: UN jobs in Ukraine