Communication Officer, AU, P3, Addis Ababa, NORCAP
- Country: Ethiopia
- Organization: NRC
- Deadline: 2023-11-22
- No of Vacancies: N/A
The Communication Officer will work under the direct supervision of the Coordinator, Office of the Special Envoy on Women, Peace and Security. The communication communications Officer will be required to undertake the following:
- Communication Strategy:
- Develop OSE communication strategy for 2023-2024 focusing on the implementation of the African Women Leaders Network strategies, the WPS Agenda in Africa and the leadership of women in the transformation of Africa in line with Agenda 2063.
- Develop a living data base of target groups, relevant messages, channels and key products for effective visibility and impact of the WPS activities.
- Facilitate the production and dissemination of WPS videos through AU media channels, Twitter, YouTube and other digital channels.
- Produce short films and animation messages to be aired through different media channels and disseminated through WPS Networks throughout the continent.
- Perform media review and analysis with data on outreach and impact.
- Guide photographers and videographers from the AUC in the production of videos and photos.
- Produce topical articles, Op-Eds and Newsletters and other publicity articles.
- Media Relations
- Establish and maintain liaison with regional and international media houses and dissemination platforms.
- Identify outreach and media opportunities, write related press releases and media advisories as well as disseminate to broad and up-to-date mailing lists.
- Track and promote media coverage of high impact/visibility activities.
- Publicity and External Communications
- Liaise with stakeholders to ensure a coherent approach to communication initiatives related to the reporting and monitoring of the Women, Peace and Security Agenda and of the AWLN programmes and activities.
- Widely disseminate news using various mediums including the website, social media accounts, and the post-event publications and mailing lists.
- Oversee the design, development and launch of online information on OSE’s work.
- Support the design work and printing of various publications.
- Catalogue and build an active audio-visual storage and library (press releases, articles) containing all materials.
- Ensure adherence to the branding and visibility strategy of AUC including in the use of promotional materials, the effective use of the media in promoting the work of the office and the effective distribution and dissemination of information.
- Write papers on a wide range of general strategic issues of concern to the Office including speeches, presentations and talking points.
Education and Work Experience
- An advanced degree in Communication, Journalism, Political science, Gender studies, Peace and Security or related field with a minimum of four years relevant experience.
- First-level university degree in combination with four additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Experience in the design and management of advocacy campaigns will constitute a solid advantage.
Core Values and Guiding Principles
- Professionalism: Demonstrate a solid professional competence in Communication.
- Team Work: Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ethics and Values: Demonstrate and safeguard ethics and integrity.
- Organizational Awareness: Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment.
- Communicating and Information Sharing: Be able to communicate easily and effectively, using various communication channels.
- Self-management and conflict-management:
- Identify conflicts and address them proactively acknowledging different feelings and views and directing energy towards a mutually acceptable solution.
- Handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
- Functional Competencies:
- Strong Communication skills and experience of not less than 5 years.
- Familiarity with the Women Peace and Security agenda in Africa.
- Experience in analysis and research, with track record in publications and reports.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of the African Union.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia