Programme Analyst – Climate Change Adaptation (Nationals only)
- Country: India
- Organization: UNDP
- Deadline: 2023-11-21
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the supervision of Senior Advisor and Team Leader, Action for Climate and Environment Unit, the Programme Analyst works on Climate Change Adaptation with a focus on the Green Climate Fund portfolio of projects. S/he works in close collaboration with other policy/programme and operations teams to ensure coherent, timely, and appropriately prioritized support to effective implementation of the country programme. Cross-cutting coordination with Communications, Economist, Gender, Oversight and Compliance, and other relevant experts will be required to increase the impact of the development interventions. The Programme Analyst leads in policy development, strategic planning and partnerships for new programme areas, pipeline development and project design, effective monitoring in line with the country programme priorities. The Programme Analyst develops innovative solutions while ensuring quality assurance, programme oversight and compliance of the programme and project management.
The Programme Analyst ensures effective oversight on programme/ portfolio management, accountability, and achievement of the CPD results within the assigned outcome, and supervises staff assigned within the unit. The incumbent works in close collaboration with Bangkok Regional Hub, UNDP HQ, staff from other UN Agencies and national partners from the Government, civil society, and donors through multilateral and/or bilateral arrangements. The position requires occasional travel within the country to conduct monitoring/field visits, as required by the nature of the projects.
Ensure effective management of the country programme, focusing on the area of Climate Change Adaptation
- Contributes to programme/ project design with development partners, UN Agencies and implementing partners for the portfolio, ensuring robust articulation of Theory of Change and results from framework linking inputs and activities to programme outputs and outcomes, supported with evidence to report on the Strategic Plan and CPD indicators.
- Contributes to the analysis of the political, social, and economic situation in the country and ensures collaborative and coordinated preparation/revision of CCA, UNSCDF,CPD, annual business planning, Integrated Work Plan and results reporting, project documents, policy briefs, briefing notes, and other programmatic documents.
- Identifies and analyse strategic programmatic areas of cooperation based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities and operationalization of CPD with the Government and other partners of UNDP.
- Promotes and facilitates innovation and innovative approaches as well as identification of innovative development solutions to the delivery of results.
- Leverages innovative approaches, resources, and collaborative efforts to enhance programme and project impact.
- Ensures regular monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely adjustment of programme, measuring of the impact of the projects, and that results, and lessons learned to inform analysis, policy and programme, and project work.
- Ensures that women empowerment and gender mainstreaming aspects are integrated and applied in all programmes/projects from the design to implementation, including planning and budgeting, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, as well as reporting in line with and using the corporate gender equality commitments, tools and strategies.
- Ensures effective application of results-based management tools and high-quality reporting of results for internal and external audiences.
- Ensures the integration of women empowerment and gender equality into programming and budgeting/resource allocation and supports the CO efforts to uphold the Gender Equality Seal aspirations and requirements.
- Participates and contributes to the CO and Inter-Agency (if applicable) thematic focal teams actively making sure that the responsible activities under the respective plans are delivered successfully.
- Facilitates robust monitoring of key performance indicators and risks of the portfolio and leads the direction and implementation of corrective strategies and management measures based on risk- informed analysis and trends.
- Ensures effective monitoring of pipeline management system, programme delivery and applies appropriate actions for delivery acceleration measures.
- Applies UNDP’s Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) framework in the assigned portfolio, including the application of the Social and Environmental Standards in each project and ensures adequate safeguards measures.
- Manages team(s) and ensures that the team-specific enabling actions are included in the annual plans and implemented to meet the set targets contributing to the CO’s performance in corporate and regional KPIs.
- Coordinates UNDP’s supportto development institutions working towards addressing national development priorities in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
Contributes to accountability, quality control and effective oversight of the projects
- Contributes to strategic planning and oversight of the assigned portfolio of programmes/projects and ensures their compliance with programme and operations policies and procedures (POPP) and quality assurance standards.
- Ensures annual work planning, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of assigned portfolio in line with requirements (e.g., budget revisions, approval of CDRs, etc.).
- Provides quality assurance of the entire cycle of programming and management of portfolios. Performs project assurance function in projects and serves as Quality Assessors.
- Facilitates and quality assures the project documentation prior to final approval by the Senior Management and ensures proper document management and update in the corporate systems and regional platforms (CPS, Quantum, Vital Signs, etc.)
- Performs the function of Manager Level 2 in ERP for development projects transactions approval in line with the established internal control framework and ensures appropriate separation of duties is in place and maintained throughout the project cycle.
- Implements Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) framework covering micro assessments, assurance plans and assurance activities, carries out programme/monitoring visits, ensuring appropriate remedial actions are implemented.
- Ensures the establishment of the tracking mechanism for cash transfers to Implementing Partners/Responsible Parties in accordance with UNDP Financial Rules and Regulations and HACT policies.
- Performs clearance measures (incl. tracking of NIM advances/reimbursements, liquidation of NIM advances, clearance of FACE forms, escalating and advising the CO Management on timely remedial actions required).
- Facilitates assessment of barriers and opportunities to enable private sector engagement and participation and quality assures all required capacity and risk assessments, including private sector due diligence.
- Provides strategic oversight of planning, budgeting, implementing, and monitoring of the programme, tracking use of financial resources in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with a cost-recovery system for the services provided in close collaboration with the operations colleagues.
- Ensures adherence to the UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP)as well as established CO business processes and internal controls, contributes to design of the Standard Operating Procedures on programme and project management.
Ensures establishment and maintenance of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization efforts in Climate Change Adaptation
- Identifies strategic opportunities and leads engagement on potential joint programming with other UN Agencies and entities.
- Ensures development and implementation of CO partnerships and resource mobilization strategies to achieve country programme outcomes related to Climate Adaptation. Contributes to effective pipeline development in the Office.
- Supports deployment of partnership strategies and related actions with a focus on programme portfolio development and the identification of sustainable and predictable funding mechanisms for the implementation of the country programme.
- Contributes to strengthening partnerships with relevant development partners and government, UN Agencies, IFIs, government institutions, bilateral and multilateral donors, private sector, and civil society in the designated support areas.
- As part of the overall CO partnerships and communications strategy and action plans, develops new project concepts to ensure project documents and financing agreements are developed with high quality and in line with UNDP corporate rules and procedures.
- Ensures the preparation of analysis and research of information on partners, donor profiles, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for cost-sharing and initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall CO efforts in resource mobilization.
- Leads engagement, networking, and mobilization of experts of the international development community, government partners, UN Agencies, and prominent think tanks.
- Leads development of strategies for government cost-sharing on Climate Adaptation.
- Ensures quality and timely donor reporting and adherence to the conditions and requirements of partnership agreements by programme teams and projects.
Ensures provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitates effective knowledge management
- Integrates evaluation findings, real-time monitoring data, and applied learning to adaptive programme and project management and policy advisory work.
- Ensures capacity building of national counterparts for effective management and compliance with funding partner’s requirements within UNDP projects.
- Maintains effective network with development partners and Government at the national level and sub- national level and where necessary links up with the corporate Global Policy Network of UNDP and other international development actors.
- Leads the implementation of awareness building and advocacy around UN/UNDP events and supports strategic communications work and knowledge management initiatives.
- Provides sound and proactive contributions to corporate, regional and CO events, knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Writes and communicates on best practices and lessons learned linked to programme and policy goals.
- Facilitates knowledge building and management especially between the programme and projects and facilitates trainings for the UNDP staff and personnel and national counterparts on relevant programme issues.
- Contributes to development of training materials and organizes workshops, as required by the supervisor.
The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: None
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical Competencies:
Business Direction and Strategy – Systems Thinking
- Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business Management – Portfolio Management
- Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity
- Ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment
Business Management – Results-based Management
- Ability to manage programmes and projects with a focus to improved performance and demonstrable results
Business Management – Partnerships Management
- Ability to build and maintain partnerships with wide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
Business Management – Risk Management
- Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
2030 Agenda: Planet – Nature, Climate and Energy
- Climate Change Adaptation: strategies
2030 Agenda: Planet – Nature, Climate and Energy
- Climate Change Adaptation: Embedding adaptation into development policy/planning/decision making
- Advanced university degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Development Studies, Economics, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or related field is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree) in Development Studies, Economics, Public Administration, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Sciences, or related field in combination with additional 2 years of experience will be given due consideration in lieu of Master´s degree.
- Professional Certification in programme or project management (e.g., PRINCE-2, MSP etc.) is a distinct advantage
- Minimum 2 years (with Master´s degree) or 4 years (with Bachelor´s degree) of working experience at the national or international level in providing policy and/or programme management advisory services on climate change adaptation.
- Prior experience in a UN Agency and/or an international organization is an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills is a requirement.
- Demonstrated knowledge of UNDP programme and project management policies and procedures is desirable.
- Understanding of policy development processes is an advantage.
- Demonstrated ability in people management and working with diverse teams is an advantage.
- Excellent knowledge of ERP platforms(such as Oracle)is desirable.
- Fluency in English and National Language is required.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in India, please click here: UN jobs in India