Senior Adviser Environment (P-5), FT, Program Group Leadership Team – CEED, New York HQ (# 00126966)
- Country: USA
- Organization: UNICEF
- Deadline: 2023-11-20
- No of Vacancies: N/A
The Senior Adviser – Environment supports UNICEF’s Global Lead for Sustainability and Climate to develop and oversee the implementation of UNICEF’s policies, partnerships and programmes related to environmental protection (including children’s environmental health), and biodiversity.
The Senior Adviser – Environment provides technical oversight and coordination of aspects related to environmental protection, children’s environmental health and biodiversity within UNCEF’s Sustainability and Climate Action Plan (SCAP).
- On advocacy, data/evidence/research, innovation and resource mobilization, he/she works closely with lead Divisions and ensures alignment to organizational priorities.
- On programme policies, strategies and approaches related to environmental protection, he/she provides leadership across the Programme Group and with Regional Offices in support of Country Programmes.
Incumbent will serve as the senior technical adviser for UNICEF on environment and biodiversity issues, convenes organizational coordination platforms, and represents the organization externally to shape global priorities and project thought leadership.
How can you make a difference?
Strategy Development and Management
Sharpen, further develop and oversee the implementation of UNICEF’s policies, partnerships, advocacy and programmes related to environmental protection and biodiversity loss.
- Convene Programme Group (PG)teams and Regional Office (RO) and Country Offices (COs) to ensure excellence in programme strategy, design and implementation across all Goal Areas related to mainstreaming for environmental protection and biodiversity loss as well as in areas of programmatic leadership.
- Leverage the Global Technical Team (GTT) develop for the implementation of the SCAP in this regard and to address emerging issues and make effective linkages between data/research/evidence and programme strategies.
- Report on progress and propose solutions to address major gaps.
Senior Management Support and Representation
- Serve as UNICEF’s senior technical adviser issues related to environmental protection and biodiversity loss for the field and HQ.
- Convene organizational coordination platforms on these issues and represents the organization externally to shape global priorities and project thought leadership.
Global Advocacy, data/evidence, research and innovation
- Work closely with lead Divisions to ensure alignment to organizational priorities of the advocacy, data/evidence/research and innovation components of the agenda of the Sustainability and Climate Action Plan as relates to environmental protection and biodiversity loss.
- Using the GTT, effectively coordinate workplans across Divisions for a strategic use of resources.
Mobilization and management of resources
- Provide strategic direction and support for the mobilization of resources for UNICEF’s work relating to environmental protection, children’s environmental health, and biodiversity loss.
- Institute and oversee mechanisms for effective tracking and reporting of results from these funds.
- Working with PPD and PFP, develop investment cases to attract funding (including innovative finance) in support of UNICEF sustainability and climate programming, with a focus on environmental protection and biodiversity.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
- Provide strategic direction and develop partnerships and networks through proactive collaboration with internal and external partners and serve as UNICEF’s external representative on environmental protection and biodiversity loss.
- Partners will include (but are not limited to) key internal stakeholders, other UN and multilateral entities, government representatives, private and non-governmental organizations, academics, business leaders, and individual supporters of UNICEF.
Effectively leading the team
- Support the Global Lead – Sustainability and Climate in establishing a work plan, set priorities and targes, and monitor work progress to ensure results are achieved according to schedule and performance standards.
- Supervise team members by providing them with clear objectives and goals, direction and guidance.
- Ensure duty of care and the respect of CRITAS values in the team.
- Support the convening of the Global Technical Team around relevant time bound sprints to drive the sustainability and climate agenda forward.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced University degree in the area environment, energy or climate change, Social Sciences, International Relations, Political Science, or another relevant technical field is required.
- A minimum of 10 (ten) years of professional work experience at the national and international levels in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, administration supply and procurement related fields is required. OR
- A minimum of 10 (ten) years of professional work experience at the national and international in on developing countries, of which 6-8 years focus on areas related to development cooperation in environmental protection, sustainability, climate action, low carbon development, pollution and sustainable energy is required.
- Experience working with and on environmental and biodiversity financing will be considered an asset.
- Experience working for international organizations such as the United Nations is desirable.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in the USA, please click here: UN jobs in the USA