Protection Team Leader
- Country: USA
- Organization: DRC
- Deadline: 2023-11-27
- No of Vacancies: N/A
- Advocacy on the rights of persons of concern in the context of their displacement, facilitation of access to basic services, vulnerability-based individual protection assistance, legal assistance, community-based protection, safe referrals, rights monitoring and awareness-raising on rights with host communities and other actors.
Protection Project Implementation
- Participate in the implementation of general protection activities in accordance with agreed objectives.
- Continually monitor and document the needs of persons of interest.
- Monitor and analyze trends by reading quantitative and qualitative data collected by the protection team in Catatumbo and surrounding municipalities for management, program and promotion purposes.
- Coordinate, plan and monitor the activities of the field protection and legal assistance teams.
- Organize workshops in coordination with the Protection Manager to strengthen the competencies of protection officers.
- Monitor legal aid activities, supported by legal aid officers where possible, ensure timely delivery of services.
- Support Community Based Protection activities, organize and implement relevant activities in assigned communities.
- Systematize the internal and external care route, to strengthen the referral system.
- Ensure the security and confidentiality of information collected in accordance with the DRC code of conduct, information sharing protocol and relevant line manager guidelines.
- General guidance and support to protection staff to identify community protection assistance needs, through focus group discussions, direct observation, formal and informal interviews, using an age, gender, diversity approach and recommend the best type of assistance to address those needs.
- Maintain close cooperation with government counterparts and humanitarian actors to strengthen the public route, as well as the humanitarian cooperation route within the framework of the established referral mechanism.
- Prepare and consolidate high-quality weekly and monthly reports based on the quantitative and qualitative data collected in protection monitoring
- Monitor databases and ensure they are kept with updated, correct and organized information.
- Guarantee the correct cleaning of the protection monitoring database to allow the preparation of monthly reports.
Programming and Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of the program
- Prepare reports and participate in writing monthly/quarterly/annual proposals and budgets for donors.
- Manage and supervise day-to-day project activities to ensure they are executed in accordance with project objectives, work plan, and DRC guidelines and procedures.
- Carry out periodic visits to sites on the assigned land and support protection and legal assistance personnel in their activities.
- Organize and ensure the correct design and implementation of awareness sessions and information campaigns for persons of concern and host communities.
- Identify vulnerable people based on criteria set by DRC and ensure appropriate action, including referrals to specialized services.
- Lead the safeguarding team in conducting safeguarding monitoring, rapid safeguarding assessments, PWSN identification, referrals and delivery of Individual Protection Assistance (IPA)
Coordination and representation.
- Liaise with local authorities, service providers and humanitarian actors to support the mapping of services and the development of effective care pathways.
- Collaborate with internal and external technical experts on relevant sector topics
- Represent DRC in internal and external meetings, relevant technical coordination, etc.
- Contribute to the coordination and good working relationships, in a constructive, supportive and effective manner between the DRC teams and offices, both in the state of Zulia and in other states of the country, guaranteeing effectiveness between the protection teams and other departments, under the coordination of the protection manager.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors.
- Prepare work plans for the protection and legal assistance team
- Support the Protection Manager in the preparation and development of long-term work plans
- Participate in the development of project tools.
- Organize and direct the implementation of protection monitoring
Logistics / Finance
- Support oversight of financial commitments and expenditures and provide timely information on budget tracking.
- Proactively plan and coordinate logistics and personnel movements to and from different operational areas.
- Initiate acquisitions and ensure their execution.
- Ensure distribution plans are prepared and shared with logistics in a timely manner.
- Coordinate the daily activities of the ground protection teams;
- Does not have direct line management responsibility for staff, but may contribute to the recruitment and/or performance evaluation of protective team members
- Implement the Safeguarding Manager’s decisions through the work of the rest of the safeguarding team, often playing a role in deciding how to do this and how to achieve the objective set by the manager.
Experience and Technical Skills:
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in humanitarian protection, related to an NGO, UN agency or other non-profit organization;
- Field and work experience in protection in vulnerable areas of cities.
- Experience working in legal assistance and community-based protection.
- Experience in team supervision and preparation of work plans.
- Excellent experience and ability to interview people of all ages and backgrounds
- Excellent skill and experience progresses in database management and use of Excel
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data analysis.
- Above average writing skills.
- Excellent skills in MS Word and PowerPoint
- Experience in the production of technical material (training materials, protection tools, reports, documents, etc.);
- Skills and experience in training and capacity development of inexperienced personnel.
- Experience with accountability measures and compliance with DRC and its donor requirements .
- Diplomatic character.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to create a good team environment.
- Proficiency in the English language is an advantage.
Diploma or relevant professional qualification in political science, law, social work, international development, psychology, human rights or related fields
If you are looking for more UN jobs in the USA, please click here: UN jobs in the USA