- Country: Kenya
- Organization: UNV
- Deadline: 2023-11-24
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the direct supervision of the Representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks: Provide administrative support to the DRR:
· Provide administrative support to ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of the DRR front office.
· Coordinate the efficient and discreet management of the Representative’s schedule; Coordinates calendar and schedule of regular and ad-hoc internal meetings, prepare minutes and summaries of actions to be taken; track progress on planned issues; ensure follow-up with focal points.
· Adhere to appropriate protocol and correspondence guidelines when communicating with external partners.
· Assemble briefing materials and prepare power-points and other briefs for the DRR; Coordinate travel planning and logistical support arrangements for official missions of the DRR; Facilitate effective communications and information management support:
· Screen all incoming communications, filters outgoing correspondence for DRR signature, clearance, and further action by other staff; wherever possible.
· Facilitate the flow of information/communication between the DRR Office and other units.
· Review, prioritize and route correspondence to and from DRR Office; •Follow-up action and keep the DRR informed.
· Review correspondence for proper internal clearances prior to the DRR signature; Respond and/or direct inquiries to the appropriate Unit for timely action and/or response.
· Maintain and organize up to date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval.
· Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials; •Work and coordinate closely with Operations unit to ensure compliance with corporate guidelines. Support to external relations activities:
· Responsible for protocol matters, receives high ranking officials, and answer calls/inquiries with tact and discretion.
· Organizes official events/hospitality for the DRR.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day).
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country.
· Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities.
· Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.
· Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly arrived UN Volunteers.
· Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in progressively responsible secretarial, administrative, programme experience is required at the national or international level.
Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), database packages, and web-based management systems such as ERP.”
Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Specialized secretarial training or office management desirable or University Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or equivalent field will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
Other desired/mandatory required technical knowledge.
· Excellent oral and written skills; excellent drafting, formulation, reporting skills.
· Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing.
· Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development;
· Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
· Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, among others), email, and internet; familiarity with database management; and office technology equipment.
· Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
· Have affinity with or interest in UNV/UNDP’s work), volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN system.
Area(s) of expertise
Administration, Business management, Communication
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Business or Public Administration, Economics or Office Management.
Competencies and values
· Adaptability and flexibility
· Planning and organising
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya