EVALUATION OFFICER (Multiple Positions)
- Country: Kenya
- Organization: UNEP
- No of Vacancies: N/A
1. Manage and/or provide substantive contributions to project-level evaluations conducted by the Evaluation Office. The incumbent will, as specified by the Director, Evaluation Office, play a supporting role in higher level thematic and cross-cutting evaluations, develop Terms of Reference (TOR) and prepare detailed budgets for project level evaluations.
2. Identify consultants, review credentials and make recommendations for the selection of qualified consultants to conduct evaluations. Ensure standard project-level evaluation templates, tools and guidance are used in project-level evaluations and that standard procedures are followed. Oversee the work of project-level evaluation consultants by providing advice on the overall evaluation approach.
3. Promote evaluation use through presentations, meetings, workshops and other discussion fora to establish dialogue on evaluation results and to promote the uptake of evaluation findings across project-level evaluation stakeholders. Review and assess the quality of evaluation deliverables and provide constructive feedback to facilitate their finalisation.
4. Report to management on findings and recommendations of evaluations and ensure they are communicated to the relevant officers for implementation, with suggestions for preparing a Recommendation Implementation Plan. Monitor and report compliance status for the evaluation recommendations by ensuring that project / programme managers take necessary actions.
5. Prepare reviews of project-level evaluation inception reports and draft evaluation reports being managed by other Evaluation Office staff. Undertake formal validation of project-level management-led review reports to determine project performance ratings and assess review report quality. Provide advice / information / guidance to management and project / programme managers on evaluations and management-led reviews.
6. Collect and analyze data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
7. Play an active role in supporting the work of the United Nations Evaluation Group. Apply high professional standards in-line with UNEP’s Evaluation Policy and UN Evaluation Norms & Standards and provide contributions to the Evaluation Office processes and products as requested by the Director.
PROFESSIONALISM: Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of all aspects of evaluation. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Proven conceptual and analytical skills and the ability to understand technical documents and write and review evaluation reports. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree, or equivalent) in Environment- related Sciences, Development Studies, Economics, Social Sciences or related fields is required.
A first-level degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in the specified fields of studies with two (2) additional years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
Certification in project management (PRINCE2 or equivalent) is desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the field of project / programme management and/or quality assessment/assurance is required.
At least three (3) years’ experience in monitoring and/or project evaluation is required.
Experience in the practical application of Results-Based Management principles is required.
Experience in United Nations or similar international organisation is required.
Experience in preparing reports, providing structured feedback on draft reports, delivering presentations to diverse audiences, and making actionable recommendations is desirable.
Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
Professional experience in developing countries is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French or Spanish is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya