Contracts Management Specialist
- Country: Kenya
- Organization: DRC
- Deadline: 2023-11-24
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Commercial contract project management and oversight (80-90% LOE)
- Engage regularly with in-country project management to monitor project’s performance from a corporate risk and compliance perspective. At the direction of Project Directors, this may include engaging regularly with delivery team leadership and client representatives
- Advise project management teams to empower them to make effective management decisions that achieve project objectives, protect DRC’s corporate interests and are in line with commercial contract delivery best practices,
- Serve as technical line manager and backstop to in-country Project Managers, where applicable, providing regular technical oversight and on the job training for project management tasks specific to commercial contracts. When Project Manager is on leave, serve as delegate for project management responsibilities such as Budget Holder in Dynamics,
- Engage ad-hoc with wider project delivery teams and Country Office-based Support Services teams to advise on efficient, high-quality and compliant project delivery, in line with DRC’s Operations Handbook and commercial contract best practices,
- During project start-up, ensure accurate set-up of the project, including project budget, in Dynamics by COand HQ finance teams. The CMS is specifically responsible for providing Finance with the correct information for the project, project contract and grant cards, as well as for building accurate Forecast Models (both Approved Budget and Sales Budget).
- Working closely with project management and HQ finance focal points (Business Controller and Contract Finance Coordinator), ensure timely and accurate project financial management, including: accurate budget tracking and forecasting (internal DRC reporting); and invoicing, expense reporting, and forecasting (client reporting),
- Advise on and support the management of human resources related to the contract; including consultant recruitment, contracting and onboarding where necessary, in line with DRC and client policies
- Review and quality assure project reporting, including narrative and M&E components, ensuring all external project reports are written in clear and professional English, respond to client requirements and are submitted on time
- Ensure fiduciary, reputational, security and technical risks specific to commercial contracts are included in DRC’s standard risk management procedures, including appropriate identification, mitigation, ownership and escalation of project risks to both DRC and our clients.,
- Advise on and support the development and approval of budget amendments, including working closely with the project management, Country Office and delivery teams to define workplans, areas to implement Value for Money, appropriate budgeting for DRC core and support staff, and completing any other budget documentation required by the client,
- Advise project management on compliance with DRC’s corporate policies relating to commercial contracts, as well as specific contract terms and conditions, including Duty of Care, Conflict of Interest, IT, etc,
- Advise on project compliance with internal, and external audit recommendations; as well as facilitate client spot checks and support project teams to implement recommendations. During project closedown, support project management teams, CO Finance and HQ finance in facilitating donor-led audits and producing final expense reports/invoices,
- As necessary and agreed with Project Directors, take primary responsibility for mitigation of project fraud and corruption risks, including oversight of appropriate due diligence and compliance of project subcontractors.
Commercial contract business development (10-20% LOE)
- Support identification of new opportunities and sourcing other market intelligence through strong, effective project delivery.
- As time and needs dictate, participate in commercial contract proposal development, such as developing technical and/or commercial proposals.
- Working with HQ Contracts team counterparts, support build-up and management of DRC’s institutional knowledge around commercial contracts
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Development Studies, Finance or any other relevant field
- 3-5 years’ experience in project management within the stabilization, development and/or humanitarian sectors
- Experience of managing donor funded commercial contracts, including from donors such as FCDO, World Bank, USG and DANIDA
- Experience of managing high-risk and sensitive projects (desirable),
- Excellent organizational, analytical and planning skills
- Proven ability to work independently, with a clear understanding of risk escalation requirements
- Proven ability to propose creative solutions to challenges, and proven ability to deliver results within a flexible and adaptive framework
- Proven capability in budget and financial management and needs-based cost reduction
- Successful experience working within culturally and politically diverse teams and institutions, in a fluid and dynamic environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including ability to engage diplomatically
- Ability to build effective, credible and productive working relationships with donors, advisers, and wider networks; including high degree of responsiveness
- Understanding the importance of, and need to, adhere to Duty of Care requirements, as well as understanding the broader implications of working in FCAS
- High degree of flexibility to adapt to client priorities and demands;interpreting these for country management teams
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya