- Country: Kenya
- Organization: UNV
- Deadline: 2023-11-23
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the direct supervision of the D-Chief FMTS the UN Volunteer will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
– Consult with and provide guidance to project stakeholders and managerial staff regarding engineering requirements for construction of various designs, modifications, and structural repairs
– Use design software and drawing tools to accurately render and communicate designs
– Plan and design other necessary and related systems and structures such as transportation, hydraulics, etc.
– Assess strength of foundations, concrete, asphalt, or steel by testing materials and soil
– Set design specifications by computing load and grade requirements, material stress factors, water flow rates, and similar parameters.
– Plan projects based on the analysis of relevant materials such as drawings, blueprints, aerial photography, survey reports, maps, and other geologic and topographical data
– Draft and present reports on topics related to projects such as environmental impact statements and right-of-way descriptions
– Estimate materials, equipment, and labour needed to determine project costs
– Collaborate with architects, contractors, and other stakeholders to ensure projects progress properly
– Collaborate with surveyors to establish installations or reference points, grades, elevations, and other factors that will affect construction
– Monitors project progress and ensures design specifications, safety, and sanitation standards are met
– On completion of a project, inspect, repair, and maintain the structures as needed
– Contribute to the preparation of complete bidding packages, including Technical Specifications, Bill of Quantities, Technical Evaluation Criteria, etc.
– Performs other related duties as assigned.
27 – 80
Candidate must be a national or legal resident of the country of assignment.
5 years of experience in civil engineering and construction are required, as well as experience in project implementation and supervision.
– Excellent use of AutoCAD (or Revit), Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, among others), email, and internet are required.
– Familiarity with database management and office technology equipment is required.
The below requirements are desirable assets for this position:
– Experience working in the UN or other international development organization.
– Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners.
– Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment.
– Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
– Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision.
– Ability to work with tight deadlines
Area(s) of expertise
Engineering and construction , Energy and environment , Facility management
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Master degree or equivalent in civil engineering, construction or similar
Competencies and values
Adaptability and flexibility
Judgment and decision-making
Planning and organising
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya