Biodiversity Program & Outreach Officer
- Country: Kenya
- Organization: UNV
- Deadline: 2023-11-23
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Branch, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks:
· Research, analyze, and present information gathered from diverse sources to support the implementation of team activities.
· Support the review of project deliverables, organize and participate in technical webinars, and other duties related to programme/project delivery.
· Assist with the organization of meetings and outreach events, developing necessary background materials, sourcing appropriate speakers, and report writing.
· Develop technical materials for biodiversity mainstreaming relevant to other UN agencies.
· Support other communication activities (e.g., technical communications and outreach materials, draft stories for social media, etc.)
· Depending on the incumbent’s skills and background (e.g., Specific language skills), country- or region-specific research, and review tasks may be assigned.
· Support other activities as requested.
Furthermore, UN Volunteers are required to:
· Strengthen their knowledge and understanding of the concept of volunteerism by reading relevant UNV and external publications and take active part in UNV activities (for instance in events that mark International Volunteer Day);
· Be acquainted with and build on traditional and/or local forms of volunteerism in the host country;
· Reflect on the type and quality of voluntary action that they are undertaking, including participation in ongoing reflection activities;
· Contribute articles/write-ups on field experiences and submit them for UNV publications/websites, newsletters, press releases, etc.;
· Assist with the UNV Buddy Programme for newly-arrived UN Volunteers;
· Promote or advise local groups in the use of online volunteering, or encourage relevant local individuals and organizations to use the UNV Online Volunteering service whenever technically possible.
· As an active UNEP team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly, and high-quality support rendered to UNEP and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
– Improved administration of programme and projects; and
– Knowledge management and ease of access to approved documents.
· The development of capacity through coaching, mentoring, and formal on-the-job training, when working with (including supervising) national staff or (non-) governmental counterparts, including Implementing Partners (IPs).
· Age, Gender, and Diversity (AGD) perspective is systematically applied, integrated, and documented in all activities throughout the assignment.
· A final statement of achievements towards volunteerism for peace and development during the assignment, such as reporting on the number of volunteers mobilized, activities participated in, and capacities developed.
27 – 80
Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
5 years of experience in implementation of environmental-related programmes, projects, and activities is required.
· Excellent computer skills, proficiency in MS Word, excel, and PowerPoint various Microsoft office packages are required.
· Excellent oral and written skills
· Accuracy and professionalism in document production and editing
· Prior experience with UN online systems is an asset
· Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including grassroots community members, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at different levels; familiarity with tools and approaches of communications for development.
· Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
· Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines.
· Sound security awareness.
· Have affinity with or interest in environmental matters volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
Area(s) of expertise
Development programmes, Community development, Natural and life sciences
English, Level: Fluent, Required
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in Biodiversity, Ecosystems Conservation or a related environmental or environmental policy field.
Competencies and values
· Adaptability and flexibility
· Judgement and decision-making
· Planning and organising
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya