Home-based Consultancy: Social and Behavior Change Consultant to support SBC ECARO to better institutionalize SBC (32 working days between Nov 2023 and Mar 2024) – Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO)
- Country: Switzerland
- Organization: UNICEF
- Deadline: 2023-11-20
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Scope of Work
The consultant will work closely with UNICEF Country Office focal points, ECARO sections, including Regional Program Planning, HR, and Operations to carry out the following tasks:
- Conceptualise and draft a framework to leverage SBC approaches to strengthen social sector systems. Refine and enhance the SBC menu of Key Interventions to strengthen systems aligned with UNICEF’s 10 determinants framework and the building blocks of systems commonly described by academics and practitioners (e.g., WHO, UNICEF, World Bank).
- Develop menu of Key Interventions / guidance to better integration of SBC into various phases of planning and programme delivery – CPDs, MTRs and AWPs. The menu of options should be aligned with HQ CP planning guidance; PPPX Country Programme Planning and the latest “HOW TO” to develop Key Interventions.
- Contribute to development/finalization of SBC delivery models to address forthcoming staff changes driven by funding constraints, identifying the most cost-effective and regionally suitable models for achieving better efficiency in implementing SBC initiatives. The discussion on models should not only focus on staffing solutions, but also involve exploring business models and partnerships that include collaboration with academia, civil society, and the private sector. Additionally, it should aim to maximize collaboration both horizontally and vertically, involving ECA COs, subregions, ECARO, and HQ.
- Contribute to the development of a framework to assess systems capacities to identify social and behavioural determinants, deprivations and to explore entry points to strengthen systems to achieve sustainable results at scale.
- Develop a series of orientations resources and webinars with RO and CO programmes and management in ECAR, including dedicated sessions for the RMT and DROPS meetings to discuss SBC Institutionalization and menu of key interventions to strengthen sectoral systems and the potential SBC delivery models for ECAR.
Work Assignment Overview
It is important to mention that some of the deliverables listed below are still in the early stages of development, so the consultant will not be starting from scratch.
- A Framework for SBC integration into Social Sector Strengthening Systems. Menu of SBC Key Interventions for System Strengthening
- A Guidance Note for integrating SBC at different stages of CPDs, MTRs, and AWPs development, aligned with UNICEF Country Programme Planning guidelines
- Framework to assess systems SBC capacities
- ECARO and Country Office Delivery Models for Efficient Implementation of SBC
- Series of orientation resources and Webinars for RO, ECAR Programs and management on SBC institutionalization capitalizing on the above deliverables
|Tasks / Milestone||Deliverables / Outputs||Timeline / Deadline|
|1. Conceptualise and draft a framework to leverage SBC approaches to strengthen social sector systems. Refine and enhance the SBC menu of Key Interventions to strengthen systems. (a draft menu of options is already available)||Framework for SBC integration into Social Sector Strengthening Systems||10 working days;
By 31 December 2023
|Menu of SBC Key Interventions for System Strengthening|
|2. Develop menu of Key Interventions / guidance to better integration of SBC into various phases of planning and programme delivery.||A Guidance Note for integrating SBC at different stages of CPDs, MTRs, and AWPs development.||10 working days;
By end March 2024
|3. Contribute to development / finalization of SBC delivery models. (a structure already available)||SBC delivery models note.||5 working days;
By 15 December 2023
|4. Contribute to the development of a framework to assess systems capacities to identify social and behavioural determinants, deprivations and to explore entry points to strengthen systems to achieve sustainable results at scale. (a draft concept already available)||Framework||3 working days;
By 10 January 2024
|5. Develop an orientation resources pack materials for webinars based on existing.||Resource pack||4 working days;
Between Dec 2023 and Mar 2024
Estimated Duration of the Contract
32 working days (between November 2023 and March 2024)
Consultant’s Work Place and Official Travel
The assignment will be remote/home-based, no travel is foreseen.
Estimated Cost of the Consultancy & Payment Schedule
Payment will be made on submission of an invoice and satisfactory completion of the above-mentioned deliverables. UNICEF reserves the right to withhold all or a portion of payment if performance is unsatisfactory, if work/outputs are incomplete, not delivered or for failure to meet deadlines. All materials developed will remain the copyright of UNICEF and UNICEF will be free to adapt and modify them in the future.
Please submit a financial proposal (in USD) in your application based on 32 working days to undertake this assignment. Please do not include travel fees as this will be reimbursed as and when they take place.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Master’s degree in social sciences, preferably on social and behaviour change, sociology, psychology, anthropology etc.
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least nine (9) years relevant professional experience on social and behaviour change may be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
- At least 7 years of experience on social and behavioral change.
- Experience working on system strengthening and SBC mainstreaming into sectors.
- Previous experience in supporting the UN/UNICEF in conducting bottleneck analyses, developing country programmes (CPD), supporting mid-term reviews and strategic moments of reflection etc. is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of a regional language is an asset.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland, please click here: UN jobs in Switzerland