Chief, Competition and Consumer Policies Branch (Economic Affairs)
- Country: Switzerland
- Organization: UNCTAD
- Deadline: 2023-12-25
- No of Vacancies: N/A
– Formulates and implements the substantive work programme of the Branch under his/her supervision. Oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Branch, ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas both within the Division and Department and with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
– Leads, supervises, and carries out the work programme of the Branch under his/her responsibility. Co-ordinates the work carried out by different work units under the Branch and by other agencies and bodies of the United Nations system
– Provides programmatic/substantive reviews of the drafts prepared by others.
– Co-ordinates and oversees the preparation of reports for presentation to intergovernmental bodies such as the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budget Questions, Committee for Programme Coordination, Economic and Social Council, the General Assembly, and other policy-making organs, as appropriate.
– Reports to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
– Ensures that the outputs produced by the Branch maintain high-quality standards; and that reports are clear, objective, and based on comprehensive data. Ensures that all outputs produced under his/her supervision meet required standards before completion to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
– Assists the Director in preparing the work programme of the Branch, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
– Undertakes or oversees the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Branch, including preparation of budgets, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance (PAS), interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting.
– Recruits staff, taking due account of gender and geographical balance.
– Manages, guides, develops, and trains staff under his/her supervision.
– Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Branch and across organizational boundaries.
– Leads and supervises the organization of meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive issues. Manages the substantive preparation and organization of such meetings or seminars.
– Participates in international, regional, or national meetings and provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue, or holds programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
– Represents the Division at international, regional, or national meetings.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law, social sciences or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Job – Specific Qualification
A specialization in the field of competition policy at regional and international levels for development is desirable.
A minimum of fifteen years of progressively responsible experience in the fields of competition and consumer protection of which ten years in formulating policies and legal instruments related to competition and consumer protection laws and policies is required.
Proven experience in supporting intergovernmental bodies and working with developing countries is required.
A proven track record in designing and leading technical and capacity building assistance in the fields of competition and consumer policies at country, regional and international levels is desirable.
Carrying out in-depth analysis in both competition and consumer policy fields, as evidenced by publications, is desirable.
Relevant experience in leading a professional team is desirable
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English and French is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland, please click here: UN jobs in Switzerland