ASSOCIATE ECONOMIC AFFAIRS OFFICER
- Country: Switzerland
- Organization: UNCTAD
- Deadline: 2023-11-17
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Under the supervision of the Head of the Trade Analysis Branch, the Associate Economic Affairs Officer will perform the following duties:
Economic and/or sector analysis:
• Collects, evaluates, interprets, analyses specified statistics and qualitative socio-economic information obtained from a variety of sources and pertaining to particular sectors, countries, regions or development topics.
• Identifies relevant data sources and collects and organizes trade and trade policy data for producing indicators and summary statistics in relation to sustainable development.
• Prepares briefing notes, inputs to speeches and similar material on economic or sector issues in a form that is meaningful to non-specialists.
• Prepares first drafts of sector, country or regional components of analytical studies on development issues and policies.
• Assists in the organization and servicing of expert group meetings, seminars, etc on development issues.
• Prepares inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies.
• Follows intergovernmental meetings and prepares summary reports and similar material.
• Assists in the organization of panels, round tables etc on development issues for inter-governmental processes.
• Compiles and analyses the data and other information necessary for the preparation of technical cooperation project proposals in the area of economic development.
• Contributes to the preparation of material for the approval of regional, country or sector technical cooperation projects.
• Monitors, backstops and assesses the implementation of technical cooperation programmes and projects.
• Performs other related duties as required, including a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit’s services;
• Undertakes on-the-job and other training activities, both internally and externally.
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in economics or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. A first-level university degree and no experience will be accepted for candidates who have passed the United Nations Young Professionals Programme Examination (YPP), the United Nations National Recruitment Examination (NCRE) or the General Service to Professional Examination (G to P).
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in development programmes or related area is required
Experience in organization meetings and webinars is an asset. Work experience relating to trade issues, including voluntary sustainability standards is desirable.
Experience in econometric coding using statistical packages (Stata and/or R) is desirable.
Experience in Standards, Social Regulations and Sustainable Development is desirable.
Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland, please click here: UN jobs in Switzerland