Consultant for economic analysis in Kazakhstan
- Country: Switzerland
- Organization: UNEP
- Deadline: 2023-11-17
- No of Vacancies: N/A
Duties and Responsibilities
The Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) was launched in 2013 as a response to the call at Rio+20 to support countries wishing to embark on greener and more inclusive growth trajectories. The PAGE priority engagement aims at promoting Sustainable Public Procurement (SPP) in line with SDG 12 aims to ensure sustainable consumption and production (SCP) patterns to decouple economic growth from environmental degradation, increase resource efficiency and promote sustainable lifestyles.
The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) under the PAGE framework targets to promote the green economy reform in the Republic of Kazakhstan. Thus, strategic development planning reform launched at the beginning of 2021 has provided new opportunities for PAGE to raise the green economy ambition of the country – including through a Green Economy Concept update. The ‘Concept for the Transition of the Republic of Kazakhstan to a Green Economy’ (GEC) is a policy document that outlines the goals, objectives, and general approaches to achieving sustainable development in the country that has been implemented by the government since 2013.The Concept targets to promote greater economic diversification through greening its economy.
PAGE-supported activities in the domain are implemented at a formal request of the Ministry of Ecology, Geology and Natural Resources (MEGNR). However, the GEC update is needed to integrate the sustainable development goals, targets, and indicators, including in the water sector through the delivery of Modelling of the water system in Kazakhstan.
Thus, UNEP in cooperation with the MEGNR, UNITAR, UNIDO and UNDP will contract the Consultant (International Expert). The Consultant’s responsibilities entail the Modelling the water system in Kazakhstan to facilitate the update of the respective chapter in the GEC. The UNEP International Expert will work in a team with another prominent expert that will be supported by other UN PAGE agencies. UNEP will lead and guide the delivery of the Modelling under the present ToR.
Specific tasks and responsibilities
The International Expert will be responsible for delivering the Modelling of the water system in Kazakhstan. Specifically, she/he will be tasked:
Related to Output 1 (study outline):
1. In cooperation with the national experts, adopt the methodology and the model structure to the needs and particularities of Kazakhstan.
2. Define the needs for data collection and prepare the dataset and the set of assumptions.
3. Develop the model and run the simulations. Among others, the following major indicators should be assessed within the simulations:
• potential losses of the available water resources due to “business as usual”;
• the required capital investments into water saving and waste water treatment technologies;
• direct water saving effects by measures.
Related to Output 2: Model results and draft chapter
• Prepare summary of model results
• Provide inputs through the simulations produced on various indicators including: a) potential losses of the available water resources due to “business as usual”; b) the required capital investments into water saving and waste water treatment technologies; c) direct water saving effects by measures.
• Prepare and present draft chapter presented for UNEP’s/UNITAR review
Related to Output 3: Workshop and socialization of results
– Presented and validate results by national stakeholder at a meeting of the working group on efficient use of water resources.
– Prepare revisions based on feedback received;
Related to Output 4: Final chapter revised and accepted by PAGE (UNEP)
– Complete final version of report on modelling (methodology, dataset, assumptions and results);
– Complete final PPT presentation summarizing results.
The report should be prepared both in English and Russian.
An advanced university degree in economics, finance, environmental policy, environmental management, or a related field.
● Knowledge of green economy principles, sustainable development, macro-economic development and impact assessment, including climate change issues is required;
● At least 7 years working experience in consulting and conducting assessments, drafting feasibility studies and general equilibrium modelling specifically tailored for the Central Asian region is required;
● Experience working with government officials, the United Nations and other intergovernmental organizations is required;
● Proficiency in using standard office software applications is required;
● Demonstrated good writing skills is required.
Fluency in written and spoken Russian and English, including proven excellent drafting skills, is essential
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland, please click here: UN jobs in Switzerland