- Country: Kenya
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 15 years
- Gender: Both
• Leads, supervises and carries out the work programme of the Branch under his/her responsibility.
• Ensures that the outputs produced maintain high-quality standards; that reports are clear,objective and based on comprehensive data.
• Executes the changes identified by the fit-for purpose reviews, including the changes to the organizational structure of the Branch.
• Refocus tasks in the Branch to deliver impactful results in identified priority areas.
• Represents the Branch in preparing the work programme of the Division, determining priorities, and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
• Leads on Ecosystems Division’s policy and activities in the context of the UN Reform Agenda, in consultation with relevant branches/divisions, and UNEP regional and liaison offices.
• Leads coordination of the regional work within the Ecosystems Division to ensure synergy and coherence across the Division and with other areas of UNEP.
• Enhance the visibility and impact of the Division’s regional work through a joint information and outreach strategy among relevant partners.
• Undertakes or oversees the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Branch.
• Prepare various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, amongst other.
• Recruits staff, taking due account of geographical balance.
• Manages, guides, develops and trains staff under his/her supervision.
• Fosters teamwork and communication among staff.
• Leads and supervises the organization of meetings, seminars, etc. on substantive issues.Manages the substantive preparation and organization of such meetings or seminars.
• Participates in international, regional or national meetings and provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue or holds programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
• Represents the Branch at international, regional or national meetings.
• Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empower others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailor’s language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gather relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Environmental Sciences, management or discipline related to the work of ecosystems management is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management in the context of Ecosystems management or related area is required.
Five (5) years experience at the international level and in a supervisory capacity is required.
Demonstrated experience in managing performance of teams and staff with specialist expertise and mobilizing resources in an international environment is required.
Seven (7) years’ experience in intergovernmental processes, multilateral environment agreements (MEAs) and collaborating centers is required.
Five (5) years experience in the organization of intergovernmental meetings at the global and regional level is desirable.
Experience overseeing teams and projects/programmes under multiple funding is desirable.
Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage. Knowledge of other UN official languages is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya