- Country: Switzerland
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 5 years
- Gender: Both
• Handles a range of issues related to the progressive development of international environmental law, environmental governance and Multilateral Environmental Agreements, the environmental rule of law, human rights, trade and the environment (substantive, procedural and comparative).
• Directs, trains, and oversees the systematic collection, collation and indexing of environmental legislation, case law, relevant policy, and MEA documents, and leads the conceptualization, validation and implementation of online tools and services for the relevant stakeholders of the law division, including MEAs.
• Conducts extensive legal research and analysis in the field of international environmental law and prepares online training material, such as the negotiators and compliance sections on InforMEA, but also the curriculum across the many different course portfolios on the Law Divisions e-learning tools, studies, briefs, reports, and correspondence.
• Undertakes basic or extensive review of available documents from MEAs and the Law Division and its implementing partners, legal documents, instruments, or other material and assists with the most intuitive online presentation/integration with the Law Division Collective Intelligence tools.
• Prepares or directs/monitors the development of legal ontologies and taxonomies on the three different priority areas pollution, nature and climate change, thereby associating the most pertinent treaties and associated materials to more specific ontologies down to specific pollutants (plastics, air pollutants), nature-related issues and climate concepts, as well as associated governance treaty law issues.
• Preparation of background papers, studies, reports, legislative texts commentaries on those texts, and teaching materials in the field of international environmental law.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of legal opinions/advice on a wide range of international environmental law issues.
• Prepares or assists in the preparation of agreements and contracts with governments, NGOs, and other public and private entities.
• Services or assists senior colleagues in servicing conferences including COPs, Judicial Symposia, Academic colloquia, commissions, committees, task forces, expert groups, and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues and views of delegations, meeting reports, etc.
• Drafts course content of foundational courses on SDGs and environmental concepts and ensures a harmonious and consistent expansion of the e-learning tool in close collaboration with MEAs and other contributing stakeholders.
• Administers programmes of legal technical assistance.
• Prepares or assists with the preparation of international environmental law seminars and symposia, and lectures on various legal issues at such events.
• Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Provide guidance to junior staff and perform other duties as assigned.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in international law, environmental law or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
Job – Specific Qualification
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing is required.
Experience in drafting or conceptualizing online educational content or tools in the field of environmental law is required
Experience with auto-indexing tools and best practices on developing taxonomies in the field of environmental law is desirable.
Experience in creating social media content for lawyers is desirable.
A minimum of two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Switzerland, please click here: UN jobs in Switzerland