- Country: USA
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 2 year
- Gender: Both
Duties and Responsibilities
Draft and implement an effective and efficient internal communication strategy:
- Based on clear directions from the Communication division, and the Executive Office develop a draft internal communication strategy for review by the Chief of Staff;
- Ensure that internal systems and processes are used as enables of this internal communication strategy.
Implement initiatives related to the internal communications strategy:
- Analyze areas for further strengthening of communications between and within sections and teams in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Offices (ROs), (Multi) Country Offices (COs) and Liaison Office;
- Propose actions and initiatives based on the analysis;
- Set up a community of practice related to internal communication and coordinate its activities.
Participate and technically contribute to the Development of new internal communication Systems and Tools:
- Technically Collaborate with and provide technical input to relevant parts of the Organization (e.g. EDO, Communications & Advocacy, ICT, Knowledge Management, HR, UN Coordination among others) in the development, implementation, test-piloting and upgrades of tools and systems for the purpose of furthering internal communication;
- Review the existing UN Women intranet system and identify areas of improvement, increased functionality, technical performance and user-friendliness. Assist and advice field level structures (ROs, MCOs, LOs, COs) on intranet related issues as required;
- Make recommendation on developing and implementing new offline or online tools, including social networking tools) to strengthen internal communications as needed.
Review and Support to Development of Products and Materials:
- Provide technical input to relevant teams and sections of UN Women in in the production of specific internal products and materials and liaise with external communications on branding;
- Provide technical support in communicating corporate initiatives and messages internally;
- Deliver regular, strategic and analytical news updates for UN Women staff, including by supporting, expanding and/or optimizing existing products;
- Review, upgrade and update existing shared calendars, databases, flow charts, etc. to increase use by staff across the Organization;
- Support the EDO – as required – on internal communication issues (e.g. on messages to the UN Women workforce, Executive and Senior Management Team communications etc.);
- Support the Human Resource team – as required – on internal communication issues (e.g. on the Global Workforce Survey etc.).
Provide technical support to Organizational Learning:
- Provide technical inputs to the identification, consolidation and dissemination of best practices and innovative solutions in the area of internal communications;
- Work closely with the knowledge management and ICT teams to ensure effective organizational learning from the use of internal communication tools, systems, and products;
- Promote knowledge and understanding across UN Women’s workforce – including through training and capacity development – of internal communication tools and techniques, and how these can best be used within UN Women.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written;
- Communicates sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies;
- Demonstrates very good understanding of and experience in internal communications;
- Ability to take initiative;
- Ability to multi task;
- Interacts effectively with all levels of the organization, including senior management;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates exceptional ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Outstanding oral and written communications and editing skills, with proven ability to meet tight deadlines;
- Good IT skills, including databases and office software packages;
- Familiarity with gender issues and the UN system is an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, journalism, public relations, social sciences, international relations, or a related field;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in communications, including some experience in the development and or implementation of an internal communications strategy at an international level is required;
- Experience in internal communications is required;
- Experience working on issues of women’s rights and gender equality is required;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is required;
- Experience working in the UN System, or a large development agency is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN official language is a strong asset.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in the USA, please click here: UN jobs in the USA