- Country: France
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: N/A
- Gender: Both
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) recognizes the need to address global environmental concerns in an increasingly urbanizing world. It is in this context that UN Environment supports and promotes sustainability in buildings and construction, emphasizing sustainable buildings’ local and global benefits and the role of the built environment in delivering against the New Urban Agenda and the 2030 Agenda with its 17 Sustainable Development Goals. The building and construction sector is responsible for over one-third of all energy-related GHG emissions and material use.
Since 2015, UNEP hosts the Secretariat of the Global Alliance for Buildings and Construction (GlobalABC), launched during the first Buildings Day at COP 21. The GlobalABC has 8 working areas and hubs in its structure, these are: Resilience Hub, Materials Hub, Market Transofmration Hub, Data Hub, Finance Hub, Clean Heat Hub, Heigher Education Institutions Group and Sufficiency Action Group.
At COP27, the Buildings Breakthrough co-leads – France and the Kingdom of Morocco, together with supporting countries, joined forces issuing an official call to all countries to join the Buildings Breakthrough to accelerate the transition to sustainable buildings for everyone everywhere. To date, 21 countries have joined the Buildings Breakthrough and 15 initiatives have announced their support to be listed as leading initiatives. In March 2024, the Government of France and UNEP, in partnership including with the GlobalABC, will co-organise a Global Forum on Buildings and Climate. A first of its kind, this Forum will take place during 3-4 days in Paris, France, bringing together national governments, policymakers, international organisations, local authorities, the private and financial sector, industry experts as well as a section of the civil society, to accelerate the achievement of the Buildings Breakthrough by 2030.
A junior individual contractor with some experience in project management, as well as in buildings, sustainability, and climate change, with excellent communications and writing skills is needed to support the UNEP Buildings team in maintaining the activities of the working areas and hubs of the GlobalABC, in the lead and following the Global Forum on Buildings and Climate.
• Project management skills, including experience with multi-stakeholder environments and short deadlines.
• Excellent English and French writing skills are essential, particularly drafting concise and informative pieces for communication materials.
• Relationship management skills, working with member databases, as well as outreach.
• Previous experience with and knowledge of the buildings and construction sector is desirable. Prior experience working with international organizations is an advantage.
• Professionalism: Good knowledge of project management. Ability to work on multiple tasks with energy and commitment to due completion. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; shows persistence and flexibility when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
• Communication: Speaks and writes clearly, concisely, and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match audience; demonstrates proactivity and openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues across institutions to achieve organizational and strategic goals; is willing to learn from others; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision.
• Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently; considers outputs achieved according to effectively delivery, as opposed to the amount of time given to tasks
Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in international relations, public administration, or a similar field.
One-year professional experience in project management. Exposure to buildings and construction sector, climate change, and energy efficiency are desirable. Prior experience or exposure to working with UN agencies are desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English and French is essential.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in France, please click here: UN jobs in France