- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 5 years
- Gender: Both
2. Scope of Work and responsibilities
3.1. Elaborate and manage implementation of innovative and sustainable procurement strategies and policies that are in alignment with principles of fairness, integrity, and transparency to achieve best value for money.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement activities with UNDP rules, regulations, policies, and strategic priorities through effective internal controls and properly used client–oriented procurement management system.
- Compliance with CO Procurement business processes and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in Procurement, control of the workflows in the Project Management Unit, harmonization of the workflows in the office.
- Elaboration and implementation of cost saving and reduction strategies.
- Conceptualization, elaboration, and implementation of contract strategy in PSP/F including tendering processes and evaluation, contractor appraisal, evaluation, and negotiation of offers, management of the contract and contractor, legal considerations and payment conditions, risk assessment.
- Conceptualization, elaboration, and implementation of strategic procurement in the PSP/F project including sourcing strategy, supplier selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, e-procurement introduction and promotion, performance measurement.
- Elaborate/establish internal public sector procurement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), mapped PSP/F procurement business processes, and harmonized workflows within the Procurement unit and the broader CO.
- Discuss procurement strategies and plans with projects and other Implementing partners and donors to ensure mutual alignment and compliance with each party’s rule and regulations.
3.2. Ensures efficient management of procurement processes for Peace support programme.
- Timely and proper preparation of procurement plans for the project, establishment of the deadlines and monitoring of its implementation.
- Establishment and implementation of proper monitoring system and control of procurement processes including organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt and evaluation of quotations, bids or proposals, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNDP rules and regulation.
- Ensure that procurement cases are submitted to an oversight committee as per UNDP delegation of procurement authority to : Asset and Procurement Committee (CAP), Regional Advisory Committee of Procurement (RACP) and Advisory Committee on Procurement (ACP).
- Work on the Implementations of buyer role in Quantum through delegation of responsibilities.
- Elaboration and implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase Orders (PO) are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Management of the implementation of the procurement processes monitoring system and mechanisms to eliminate deficiencies in procurement.
3.3. Effectively manage procurement processes for PSP/F to ensure quality and efficiency of delivery of results:
- Effective management of project delivery, including planning, coordination and execution of project activities in line with the approved work-plan.
- Coordination of the planning, organization, and oversight of project administrative and logistic operations, including recruitment, consultancy missions, workshops, and other project activities.
- Provide technical support to implementing partners in procurement planning, procurement, and post-delivery monitoring.
- Review and certify submission of documents to internal procurement review committees (CAP, RACP and ACP).
- Ensure management of procurement contracts and perform delegated responsibilities in e-procurement for Purchase Orders approval.
3.4. Elaborate, introduce, and implement strategic sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools to find best values in marketplace and align purchasing strategy to project and CO goals.
- In collaboration with CO procurement unit develop and manage rosters of suppliers, elaborate supplier selection and evaluation, and quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- In collaboration with CO procurement unit review and provide input on the Term of Reference for establishment of Long-Term Agreements/Framework Agreements for more efficient category management.
- Work on the implementations of the Management of the e-procurement system.
3.5. Facilitate procurement knowledge building and knowledge sharing in CO, Region, UNDP, and UN.
- Organize procurement training for the operations and project staff.
- Organize procurement training for implementing partners as required.
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in procurement.
- Make sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
4. Institutional Arrangement
Under the direct supervision of the Operations Head for Peace Support Program, The Procurement Specialist will ensure efficiency and integrity in procurement management of peace support program/ facility procurement. The Procurement Specialist promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality, strategic, and results oriented approach to all tasks; and works in close collaboration with Operations, Programme, and project teams in peace support team at country office and regional project office level as well as with vendors and implementing partners to successfully deliver procurement services, provide solutions to emerging procurement issues, and provide advisory support.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have a lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate the complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate the benefits of a diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Procurement – Strategic Sourcing: Knowledge of strategic sourcing concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations
Procurement – Category Management: Ability to segment spend into areas which contain similar or related products enabling focus opportunities for consolidation and efficiency
Procurement – Data Analysis: Ability to extract, analyze and visualize procurement data to form meaningful insights and aid effective business decision making
Procurement- Stakeholder Management: Ability to work with incomplete information and balance competing interests to create value for all stakeholders.
Business Direction & Strategy- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business Management – Portfolio Management: Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment
Business Management – Risk Management: Ability to identify and organize action around mitigating and proactively managing risks
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, Finance, or related field is required, or
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Accredited Certifications on Advanced supply chain Management /Procurement/or related field is mandatory. CIPS level 4 is more preferable, and is an asset.
- Minimum 5 years (with master’s degree) or 7 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience at the national or international level in public sector procurement management.
- Experience in a crisis-post-crisis context is an advantage.
- The post requires considerable experience of working under pressure and tight deadline.
- Previous experience on projects funded by multiple donors is an advantage.
- Experience of international procurement is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems is required.
- Working on the uses of e-procurement platform ( ERP) is more desirable.
- Familiarity with the UN in general and UNDP procedures in particular and/or previous experience with the UN is an asset.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and local language of the duty station.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia