- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 5 years
- Gender: Both
Ensure effective Planning, implementation of PSP’s operational and financial management procedures, and oversight, including risk management.
- Ensure PSP/F financial activities, financial recording/reporting system and audit follow up are in full compliance with UNDP Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP) and strategies.
- Provide support in closure of audit gaps, implement effective internal controls, and ensure proper design and functioning of the financial resources management system with attention to risk management.
- Prepare and maintain the project budget in collaboration with the project team and implementing partners.
- Prepare PSP/F finance business processes mapping; establish internal standard operating procedures in PSP/F financial control and workflows.
- Ensure financial analysis and oversight of all resources managed by the PSP/F and provide high quality professional advice to PSP/F management and staff.
- Continuously analyze and monitor the PSP/F financial situation and potential risks, and provide forecasts for allocated regions and management projects, transactions, and activities.
- Monitor and track project expenditures against the approved budget.
- Forecast cash flow needs and manage project funds accordingly.
- Assist the project team in identifying and addressing any financial risks or issues.
- Perform data analysis and presentation of information/reports regarding financial performance of PSP/F and share with PSP/F management.
Ensure all PSP/F budget management are compliant with UNDP Guideline.
- Manage all financial resources of PSP/F through planning, guiding, monitoring, and controlling of resources in accordance with UNDP POPP guidelines.
- Ensure all PSP/F financial activities are compliance with UNDP POPP /NIM (National implementation modality)/ DIM (Direct Implementation Modality) manual, rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and proper planning, supporting follow up of audit, implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports based in compliance with donor requirements and UNDP organizational standards.
- Ensure adherence to UNDP financial policies and procedures, including financial disbursement, settlement, procurement, contracting, and grant management.
- Coordinate and support external and internal audits, ensuring timely and accurate completion of all required documentation.
- Implement and maintain effective internal controls to mitigate financial risks to the project.
- Coordinate the preparation of required budget revisions within PSP/F unit at required period.
- Review and process, petty cash, work advance and direct payments for projects on a timely basis; and ensure payment information are compliant and properly recorded into the ERP system on a timely basis.
Provide Financial Management Support to Peace support programme.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports.
- Provide the project team with regular financial updates and insights to inform decision-making.
- Prepare and submit quality and timely financial reports based in compliance with donor requirements and UNDP organizational standards for management and for periodic donors reporting.
- Perform regular monitoring of the project budget/delivery and review for correctness and alert Finance for any deficiency, wrong entry, insufficient fund etc., before quarterly financial closures by UNDP HQ;
- Analyze financial data, provide the project team with regular financial updates to identify trends, areas of improvement, insights, and potential challenges to inform decision-making.
- Regularly monitor and track disbursements/advances to Implementing Partner on a monthly basis.
- Review FACE advancerequests/Direct Payment/Reimbursements sent from Peace support office for compliance with the standard template, accuracy of amounts/exchange rates etc. in collaboration with the M&EOfficer and the Project Manager and provide technicaladvice to the IP.
- Jointly with PDRM Unit, undertake regular spot checks as per HACT guidelines to ensure that all expenditure/payments by Implementing Partners is adequately documented and adheres to established guidelines.
- Generate Quarterly and Annual financial reports for the UNDP PSP review and assist in their analysis.
- In liaison with the Project Manager, UNDP Operations Managers and PDRM Unit, assist in coordinating in provision of information and documents for project’s audits/ verification when appropriate.
- Provide regular budget/resource/Delivery updates to PSP unit when requested.
- Ensure adequate supporting documents for all payments as per the POPPs and maintain an organized, well documented, and sequential filing system for finance records and documents.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and sharing in the PSP/F staff and provide guidance to Implementing partners on financial and related matters.
- Provide support in Identifying training needs of UNDP staff for the purpose of capacity development in finance compliance.
- Provide guidance and training to project staff, implementing partners on financial management best practices, policies, and procedures.
- Collaborate with the project team and partners to build financial management capacity, ensuring understanding and compliance with financial requirements.
- Assist project staff and implementing partners in providing technical guidance/advice on audit and compliance matters, including implementation of Internal Control Framework (ICF).
- Synthesize lessons learned and best practices in Finance.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
General Administrative Support:
- Participate in project meetings and contribute to project planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Assist with the development of project proposals, budgets, and other financial documents as needed.
Under the overall guidance of the PSF project and the direct supervision of Operation Head of the Peace Support Director or his/her designate, the Finance Specialist works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations, and project teams in peace support facility/ project at country office and regional project offices level to ensure successful peace support facility/project financial performance.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have a lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate the complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate the benefits of a diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
Business Direction & Strategy – System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
Business Management – Portfolio Management: Ability to select, prioritize and control the organization’s programmes and projects, in line with its strategic objectives and capacity; ability to balance the implementation of change initiatives and the maintenance of business-as-usual, while optimizing return on investment
Business Management – Customer Satisfaction/Client Management: Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers’ needs. Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy. Look for ways to add value beyond clients’ immediate requests. Ability to anticipate client’s upcoming needs and concerns
Finance – Accounting (General): Knowledge of accounting concepts, principles, regulations, policies, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
Finance – Financial Planning and Budgeting: Ability to create and manage processes to achieve UNDP’s long and short-term financial goals, including through planning, budgeting, forecasting, analyzing, and reporting
Finance – Finance Business Partnering: Able to support business units and add value by innovating and providing solutions to financial issues/queries, including through FAQs, financial tools, advisory, etc. Influences and appropriately challenges non-finance colleagues for whom the service is being provided. Understands the operations, opportunities, and challenges of the organization. Holds a commercial outlook, demonstrating accountability towards organizational goals.
Finance – Financial Risk Management: Ensures financial resilience through proactive assessment of risk, implementation of controls and taking mitigating action. Understands risk and reward in relation to collaborative and commercial projects. Ensures a culture of positive risk management
- A professional accounting qualification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy, and/or Advanced (master’s) University Degree in Finance and/or Accounting is required.
- A professional accounting qualification from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy, and Bachelors University Degree in Finance and/or Accounting is required.
- Candidates with professional accounting qualifications from an internationally accredited institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Candidates with no professional accountancy qualifications, but with Masters degrees that major in accountancy and/or finance must complete the Finance Training and Certification Programme (FTCP), if recruited
- 5 years (with master’s degree) or 7 years (with bachelor’s degree) of relevant experience in providing financial management advisory services, and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.), and advanced knowledge of web-based management systems such as ERP financials and database packages.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English, and local language of the duty station.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia