- Country: Ethiopia
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 5 years
- Gender: Both
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Blue Economy Expert will be expected to:
- Support the implementation of the blue economy and AIM Strategies including the development of annual and multi-year work plans and budgets;
- Provide technical support in the development of concept notes and programmes to facilitate implementation of the strategies by member states and RECs.
- Undertake preparations of policy and technical documents for meetings and others
- Conduct policy research to inform the development of African common positions on blue economy related subjects.
- Undertake assessments as a basis for supporting member states including on capacity building.
- Undertake monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the implementation of blue economy strategies and programmes.
- Supporting member states and RECs in the domestication of the blue economy strategies including in policy development or alignment.
- Support visibility of blue economy activities, results and output through communication and various platforms.
- Develop and maintain a database of blue economy focal points in member states and RECs.
- Contribute to the routine activities of the Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy.
- Undertake any other activity as assigned by the supervisor.
The Blue Economy Expert will be responsible for the following deliverables:
- Development of work plan and budget.
- Compilation of various reports.
- Development of documents.
- Initiating project proposals.
- Conducting assessments.
- Monitoring and reporting .
The Blue Economy Expert will work under the direct supervision of the Senior Blue Economy Advisor or his/her delegate/ the Principal in charge of Blue Economy. The Expert will also be expected to work horizontally with other Experts within the blue Economy and the Directorate of SEBE at large.
This assignment requires that the Blue Economy Expert be based at the African Union Headquarters, in the Directorate of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy, Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Education: Master’s degree in Biology, Oceanography, Fisheries, Environmental Science.
- Essential Work experience: Minimum of 5 years demonstrated experience working in Africa on issues of fisheries, marine biology, shipping, coastal zone management, offshore mining.
- Desired work experience:
- Experience in negotiating blue economy related agreements.
- Experience in the development of blue economy policies and management plans for marine or freshwater resources.
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and reporting.
- Experience in carrying out assessments or surveys.
- Experience in combating IUU fishing or controlling marine pollution.
- Fluency in written and spoken English (essential)
- Knowledge of any other AU languages is an advantage
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Ethiopia, please click here: UN jobs in Ethiopia