The main aim of the FAO country offices, which are headed by an FAO Representative, is to assist governments in developing policies, programmes, and projects to achieve food security and to reduce hunger and malnutrition, to develop the agricultural, fisheries, and forestry sectors, and to use their environmental and natural resources in a sustainable manner.
The Finance Assistant undertakes finance-related support activities of medium complexity. He/she ensures quality, transparency, and consistency of processes. The job role requires in-depth knowledge and interpretation of financial policies, procedures, and practices. The incumbent provides procedural guidance to other staff in the Organization as and when needed.
The Finance Assistant is responsible for the financial support activities of the Country Office. The incumbent provides and coordinates broad administrative support functions in the areas of finance. S/he ensures a high level of performance of these functions.
Under the overall supervision of the FAOR and the direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative for Administration, and the general supervision of the FAO Representative in Liberia, the incumbent shall perform administrative support functions, which may include supervision of clerical and administrative staff engaged in fields of work such as personnel, finance, registry, supply, and transportation indicated by the requirements and structure of the Organization. Performs the following tasks:
Tasks and Responsibilities
The incumbent will undertake the following:
• Assist in maintaining financial records and monitoring systems to record and reconcile expenditures, balances, payments, statements, and other data for day-to-day transactions and reports.
• Assist in the preparation of periodic budgetary reports.
• Reconcile data for recurring or special reports; maintain contacts with local banks, verify account status and currency exchange rates and obtain approval for cheque clearance;
• Assist in the preparation of recurring reports on assigned accounts, noting variations from budgeted expenses and income and reports thereon. Prepares special reports as required for budget reports as required for budget preparations, audits, or other reasons.
• Advises and assists international staff, experts, and consultants on all respects of allowances salary advances, travel claims and other financial matters and calculates and authorizes payments due for claims and services.
• Contribute to brief international personnel on general administrative matters relating to travel arrangements, visas, licenses, security; provides advice and ensures administrative support as required.
• Maintains liaison with officials of local banks to obtain day-to-day information on exchange and interest rates, changes in procedures and regulations and matters pertaining to maintenance of office bank accounts.
• Ensures that procurement and custom clearances for field programmes are properly requested and obtained;
• In addition to general administration responsibilities, may also assist in the supervision directly or indirectly, activities concerned with office and grounds maintenance, security, transport and similar services;
• Performs other related duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Management or other related field;
• At least four years of progressively responsible accounting/administrative and clerical experience.
• Working knowledge of English.
• National of Liberia.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Ability to operate personal computers, E-mail, facsimile machines, and other machines to maintain accounts.
• Knowledge of word processing equipment and spreadsheet packages.
• Computer proficiency in use of standard MS Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), office suite.
• Experience with UN, and other International Organizations would be an asset.