- Country: USA
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 4 years
- Gender: Both
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority and general guidance of the Director of the UNESCO Liaison Office in New York, and the direct supervision of the Liaison Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the advancement of UNESCO education’s priorities at the main UN bodies such as the General Assembly, ECOSOC, HLPF and other UN forums as well as UN system, including Secretariat, agencies, funds and programs. S/he will support the efforts of UNESCO New York Office to position UNESCO’s lead role on education at the United Nations Headquarters in view of emerging global education challenges and reflective of UNESCO’s mandate to lead and coordinate the Education 2030 Agenda and the follow up of the Transforming Education Summit, including preparatory process towards the Summit of the Future and the World Social Summit. S/he will monitor and contribute to developments at the UNHQs that can have positive strategic impact for UNESCO.
The Incumbent will support the coordination of UNESCO’s contribution as related to education to the UN forums such as UN General Assembly, HLPF, ECOSOC and its subsidiary commissions, preparing reports and recommending follow up actions on the contribution of education to sustainable development and human rights.
- Support the strategic advocacy and promotion of UNESCO priorities in education, including as to strengthen the role of UNESCO as a leading agency for SDG4 and Transforming Education Summit in the lead up to the Summit of the Future and the World Social Summit.
- Organize High-level meetings and build partnerships with UN system, including other UN agencies, funds and programs, with Member States and civil society to promote UNESCO strategy in the field of education.
- provide technical support and assistance to the UN Group of Friends for Education and Lifelong Learning, and other partnerships initiatives in education at the UNHQs.
- Analyze UN documents, decisions and processes and identify strategic follow up actions at intergovernmental tracks related to education, gender equality and culture of peace.
- Support the Director for the Liaison Office with Permanent Missions to the United Nations, in particular those engaged as champions and members of the Group of Friends for Education.
- Contribute to the design, and, implementation of the Office’s communication strategy and outreach.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
- Advance education degree (Masters’s or equivalent) in education, social sciences, international relations or related areas.
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant professional experience in the field of international relations and education, of which preferably at least 2 years at international level.
- Experience in advancing partnerships with diverse partners, including representatives of Member states and UN organizations.
Skills and Competences
- Knowledge and understanding of global education architecture, in the context of the Sustainable Development Agenda, Our Common Agenda and other major multilateral frameworks.
- Good knowledge of education sector’s priorities and possibly of Peace Education, ESD and youth engagement.
- Good communication skills, including in outreach support and website design.
- Excellent coordination, interpersonal and negotiations skills, as well as an ability to network with a range of partners, donors and other stakeholders.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to draft high quality, clear, concise documents and reports.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
- Knowledge of other official language of UNESCO (Arabic, Chinese, French, Spanish, Russian) is an advantage.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in the USA, please click here: UN jobs in the USA