- Country: Kenya
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- No of Jobs: N/A
- Education: Master’s degree
- Experience: 7 degree
- Gender: Both
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. Under its Western Balkan portfolio, it facilitates the implementation and execution of numerous projects pertaining to climate change, biodiversity protection, land degradation and other environmental related aspects. The consultant will be engaged for the purposes of coordinating project implemented in Montenegro and focused on the preparation of the update of the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP), executed with support from UNEP’s Early Action Support programme team in Nairobi, Kenya.
UNEP’s Early Action Support programme team is currently supporting the execution of the GEF funded project implemented in Montenegro focused on the preparation of the update of Montenegro’s NBSAP. The NBSAP and biodiversity frameworks in Montenegro are not fully aligned with the new post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (henceforth, GBF). Furthermore, lessons learned from the last round of updating NBSAPs indicate that challenges persist in terms of non-alignment of national targets with global targets, lack of a financing plan for NBSAP implementation, inadequate implementation due to delays in updating NBSAPs, as well as inadequate monitoring. Alignment will help catalyze implementation of the GBF and the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) and its protocols. To realize the 2050 Vision of “Living in Harmony with Nature” will require transformational change, and measures need to be taken now. Due to delays in reaching agreement on the GBF arising from Covid-19, there are only six years remaining for Parties and the global community to achieve the agreed targets.
Within this context the UNEP and Government of Montenegro are implementing this project, with the specific objective to fast-track readiness and early actions to implement the GBF. The project provides financial and technical support to GEF-eligible Parties to the CBD in their work to review and align their national targets, NBSAPs, policy frameworks, monitoring frameworks and finance with the GBF.
The objective of this consultancy contract is to secure the services of a local expert that will be fully responsible for implementation of the project according to the project document.
Under the overall supervision of the Director of the directorate mandated with issues related to nature conservation and protection, and the guidance of the Project Board, the Project Coordinator will be fully responsible for implementation of the project according to the project document, GEF corporate rules and National Implementation Modality implementation agreed standards and procedures.
The Project Coordinator will be a national specialist recruited and funded by the project. He/She will be responsible for the overall management of project inputs. The primary responsibility of the Project Coordinator will be to support the Executing Agency, the Government of Montenegro, in project execution and ensure project coordination and outreach to project partners.
The Project Coordinator will ensure that the project impact contributes to the overall achievement of the main objective set for the project, and the project delivers the global environmental benefits as pledged in the project document. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for project reporting to the Executing Agency and the Project Board, will coordinate the work of the Steering Committee, will submit project reports and workplans for the consideration of the project management bodies and will ensure appraisal of key project deliverables by the Executing Agency and other key decision makers. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for coordination of project activities with parallel initiatives undertaken by the Government authorities, municipalities and other stakeholders. The Project Coordinator will be responsible for meeting government obligations under the project and will perform a liaison role with the Government, UNEP and other UN Agencies, NGOs and other project partners. The work of the consultant will be directly monitored and overall supervised by the Early Action Support national project team, as well as the UNEP EAS Programme Management Officers and team based in UNEP headquarters, Nairobi.
The Project Coordinator will report to the Programme Management Officer, Tanya Mcgregor (UNEP) and Project Board for all of the project’s substantive and administrative issues.
Project Coordinator will coordinate all project activities at the national level, including:
Managing the overall conduct of the project:
• Ensuring project work planning and reporting in accordance with the donor requirements, UNEP rules and the requirements and standards of the Project Implementing Partner. Based on the inputs of the Project Implementation Unit members, ensuring project reporting to the GEF, UNEP, Executing Agency, and the Project Steering Committee. Preparing the annual workplan (AWP) and Annual Plan of Activities and Procurement Plan for the project years as requested by UNEP;
• Implementing the workplan as scheduled;
• Monitoring the implementation of the workplan and budget delivery, analyzing problems that hamper project implementation and taking appropriate measures to ensure timely delivery of required inputs;
• Management and administrative oversight for project personnel and project contractors, delivery of goods and services, trainings and communication activities;
• Executing activities by managing personnel, goods and services, training and low – value grants, including drafting terms of reference and work specifications, and overseeing all contractors’ work;
• Managing the project financial reporting to donor and development partners;
• Managing and monitoring project tasks;
• Timely delivery and coordination of co – financing resources, collecting data and evidence of project co – financing;
• Project coordination with parallel initiatives undertaken by the Governmental authorities, municipalities and other stakeholders;
• Ensuring that relevant gender related aspects are taken into consideration in project implementation;
• Meeting the government obligations under the project and performing a liaison role with the Government, UNEP and other UN Agencies, NGOs and other project partners;
• Undertaking resource mobilization activities in areas of technical project scope to contribute to project scaling – up and replication;
• Acting as a project focal point for media interventions. Monitoring and facilitating advocacy and mass media outreach activities, writing success stories, ensuring newspaper coverage, participating in PR campaigns
A MSc degree in natural science or other environmental-related sciences is required.
At least 7 years of professional experience in the field of natural resource management is desirable.
At least 5 years of experience in leading project or expert teams in preparation of strategic document or assessments in line with national legislation, preparation of National Action Plans, Strategies, reports, other planning documents on the same or a relevant topic is required
Previous experience in cooperating with UN agencies in developing strategic documents on the same or a relevant topic is required
Experience in maintaining day-to-day communication with different stakeholders and partners is desirable
Fluency in Montenegrin and English, both oral and written, is required. Knowledge of additional languages is desirable
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Kenya, please click here: UN jobs in Kenya