- Country: Congo
- Vacancies No: N/A
- Salary: N/A
- Organization: UNHCR
- Gender: Both
- Deadline: November 28, 2023
– Contribute to the assessment of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure.
– Analyse, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets;
– Review and approve vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
– Propose monthly cash requirements for the Office, and ensure adequate and timely replenishments of funds.
– Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
– Provide financial status reports to supervisors.
– Analyse and evaluate all financial reports produced on a regular basis.
– Maintain effective business relationships with local banks.
– Assist in ensuring compliance with UNHCR and UN Financial Regulations and Rules, policies and procedures.
– Ensure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
– Ensure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
– Conduct regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
– Perform project control functions, in the absence of a dedicated project control position.
– Participate in the physical verification of UNHCR’s local property, plant and equipment (PPE) and inventories.
– Verify that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
– In the absence of a senior finance position, ensure compliance with applicable financial rules, policies and procedures.
– In the absence of a senior finance position, certify country-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the regional office or Headquarters.
Regional financial services applicable to positions in the Regional Bureau only
– In coordination with relevant services in HQ, and to improve cost-effectiveness and process efficiency for operations, assist with the implementation and management of regional finance-related services such as: vendor and other related master data management and maintenance, invoice posting, travel claim processing, payments, bank reconciliations, accounting housekeeping and period cut-off activities, donor financial reporting, etc.
– Make proposals for the continuous improvement of financial monitoring and control mechanisms, including the streamlining of financial systems and procedures.
– In coordination with DFAM’s Change Management and Field Support Section and the Global Learning and Development Centre, identify and provide training on accounting matters, and recommend or develop training modules as necessary, aiming at the development of financial management skills.
– In close liaison with DFAM’s System Administration Section and other divisions as necessary, assist the provision and planning of activities for rollout of new processes or systems; assist the Regional Controller in monitoring the implementing internal control mechanisms and compliance with UNHCR’s financial policies and procedures in the region.
– Support the identification and management of risks and seek to seize opportunities impacting objectives in the area of responsibility. Ensure decision making in risk based in the functional area of work. Raise risks, issues and concerns to a supervisor or to relevant functional colleague(s).
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB – 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration, Economics
or other relevant field.
Certificates and/or Licenses
Professional accounting, auditing or financial management designation (CPA/ACCA/CIA/CMA or equivalent).
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Work experience in the field of accounting/finance, project management, business analysis, quality assurance and/or risk management. Good knowledge of, and experience in working with, international accounting and auditing standards, with a minimum of 1 year of practical experience in the audit process and/or in financial statements preparation. Working experience with accrual accounting (such as IPSAS or IFRS). Experience with financial modules of a major Enterprise Resource Planning system (such as PeopleSoft, SAP or Oracle). Good understanding of project and resource management.
Good knowledge of UNHCR systems (such as Focus and MSRP). Excellent knowledge of United Nations financial rules and procedures.
FI-ERP Financial Management (SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft, Workday and other)
FI-Financial Accrual Accounting under internationally accepted standards (IFRS,IPSAS,etc)
DM-Data Collection and Analysis
EL-Monitoring and Evaluation
FI-Financial Accounting – Modified cash-based accounting as per international standards
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
If you are looking for more UN jobs in Congo, please click here: UN jobs in Congo