- Organization: UNEP – United Nations Environment Programme
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: Administrative support – GS-5, General Service – No need for Higher Education – Locally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2023-06-10
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is an association established in 1972 to guide and harmonize environmental activities within the United Nations (UN) system. UNEP works closely with its 193 Member States and agents from civil society, businesses, and other major groups and stakeholders to address environmental challenges via the UN Environment Assembly, the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment. UNEP advances international cooperation on environmental issues, provides guidance to UN organizations, and encourages the international scientific neighborhood to participate in formulating policy for many of the UN’s environmental projects. UNEP’s efforts are focused on varying the triple planetary crisis of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and corruption and waste to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal.
A. General Administration:
• Reply or draft responses to routine correspondence and other communications; assist in monitoring processes and schedules related the unit’s outputs, products, tasks; where applicable, assist in the verification of receipt and precision of requisite documents, approvals, signatures.
• Helps the UN Africa Office in the organization of events/meetings /conferences.
B. Human Resource Management:
• Conduct public administrative tasks (e.g. leave and attendance recording, arrangements for meetings and other events, reservations, budget follow-up), including preparing and/or processing administrative requests /documents (e.g. requisitions, purchase orders, travel requests, contracts, expenditure authorizations, visa applications).
C. Contract Management:
• Perform UMOJA processing of shopping carts and other procurement related functions.
• Checks requisitions for interests and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged and (b) availability of accounts.
D. Budget & Finance:
• Help in observing expenditures related to stationery and office supplies and compares with approved budget; prepares adjustments as necessary.
• Supply guidance/training to new/junior staff and peers.
• Helps with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, replying to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
APPLY ALSO: Associate Officer at UNV
High school diploma or equivalent is needed.
Additional training in office administration is desirable.
Additional specialized qualifications, such as MS Office and web-based applications proficiency is desirable.
A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible background in administration, procurement, finance or related area is demanded.
Background with Enterprise Resource Planning Systems such as Umoja Source to Acquire or other similar systems is desirable.
Experience within the United Nations or other international associations is alluring.
One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post announced, fluency in English is demanded. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.