- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: Junior level – P-1, International Professional – Internationally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Banking and Finance
- Closing Date:18 MAY 2023
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN body tasked with providing assistance and protection to refugees, members of forcibly displaced groups, and stateless individuals as well as helping them return home voluntarily, integrate locally, or be resettled in another nation. It was founded on December 14, 1950, to replace the older United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, and has its main office in Geneva, Switzerland. UNHCR is charged with directing and coordinating global efforts to safeguard refugees and address their issues. It belongs to the United Nations Development Group, a group of businesses committed to sustainable growth. Two Nobel Peace Prizes—in 1954 and 1981—as well as the 1991 Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation have been given to UNHCR.
The duties for Assistant Finance Officer at UNHCR are:
- Contribute to the review of budgetary needs for administrative budgets (ABOD); monitor and control ABOD expenditure in the office.
- Interpret, evaluate and control disbursements/receipts, as well as expenditure variances against approved budgets. – Review vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
- Submit monthly cash requirements for the office, and assure adequate and timely replenishments of funds; – Contribute to the preparation and processing of monthly accounts.
- Supply financial status reports to supervisors.
- Interpret and evaluate financial reports within the area of responsibility on a regular basis.
- Sustain relationships with local bank at the transactional level.
- Assure that payments are effectuated by the monthly deadline.
- Assure that monthly accounts are correct and approved, and ensure timely monthly bank reconciliations, including open items, review and clearance of unwanted requisitions and PO balances.
- Run regular checks of petty cash and cash accounts.
- Confirm that all financial transactions are correct and in accordance with UNHCR rules and procedures.
- Design office-level financial expenditure reports submitted to the Regional Bureau or Headquarters.
- Authorize vouchers, including ABOD and project disbursements.
APPLY ALSO: Programme Associate at UNHCR Hungary
The requirements for Assistant Finance Officer at UNHCR are:
- 1 year appropriate background with Undergraduate degree; or no experience with Graduate degree; or no experience with Doctorate degree
- Public administration Business Administration; Economics; or other appropriate field
- Excellent computer skills, in particular in MS Office applications. Excellent communication skills.
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Command of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Command of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Command of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.