- Organization: UNV – United Nations Volunteers
- Location: Addis Ababa
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Social Affairs
- International Relations
- Political Affairs
- Closing Date: 2023-05-30
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) program is a UN organization that encourages peace and development through volunteerism throughout the world. The program proposes volunteer opportunities in 150 countries and has volunteers from 160 countries with eclectic backgrounds and perspectives. UN Volunteers work in different fields such as disaster reply, society empowerment, and endurable livelihoods. If you are curious in serving in a UNV program, you can find a guide to UN volunteer jobs on volunteerforever.com.
The duties for Associate Political Affairs Officer are :
- Perform research on issues pertaining to peace and security as well as political actions in assigned countries in the Horn of Africa Region;
- Prepare a range of interior reports and briefing papers, including but not limited to situation reports, political profiles, notes to file, experience papers, briefing notes, code cables and talking points for the Special Envoy and other senior staff;
- Produces and maintain professional relationships, which support the work of the Office, including representatives of international organizations and other appropriate partners;
- Observe information and news sources for the production of daily news clippings as well as media reports;
- Follow up on political and security expansions in assigned countries in the Horn region;
- Get out to Civil Society Organizations, think thanks, academia in the Horn Region for in-depth analysis of the political and security position;
- Essay other relevant tasks and assignments as ordered. Results/expected outputs As an active OSE-Horn of Africa team member, efficient, timely, responsive, client-friendly and high-quality support rendered to OSE-Horn of Africa and its beneficiaries in the accomplishment of her/his functions, including:
- Knowledge of the peace and security challenges in the Horn and produce well researched analysis papers, notes to file, reports etc.;
- Keep regular contacts with partners in countries assigned by the supervisor;
- Assure daily clippings with a comprehensive coverage of news pertaining to sizes relevant to DPA are shared regularly and on time;
- Workshops, activities and projects carried out by IGAD/ AU and between IGAD/AU and UN are helped efficiently and successfully;
- Strengthened partnership and regular interaction and aid to IGAD/AU;
APPLY ALSO: Operations Associate at UNDP India
The requirements for Associate Political Affairs Officer are :
- 3 years of background in political affairs, government, diplomacy, peacebuilding, conflict resolution or international development.
- Previous background in political analysis and reporting is essential, preferably in the context of Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Proven capability or interest to work with government officials or International, Regional or Sub-Regional organizations is an asset.
- Master’s degree or equal in International Relations, Political Science or related discipline
- English understanding Level: Fluent, Required
- French understanding Level: Working knowledge, Desirable.