Brief Details About Communication Assistant Job at UNHCR in Bangladesh:
- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Dhaka
- Grade: Administrative support – Administrative Services and Support – Generally no need for Higher Education
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: May 23, 2023
The UNHCR, or the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, is a United Nations agency that is mandated to aid and protect refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people, and to assist in their voluntary repatriation, local integration or resettlement to a third country . It is a global organization that works to save lives and protect the rights of refugees and forcibly displaced communities . UNHCR is an impartial organization that offers protection and assistance to refugees and others on the basis of their needs and irrespective of their race, religion, or political affiliation
Apply also: Project officer at UNV in Bangladesh
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the implementation of communications strategies for countries, situations and special projects within the area of responsibility; help identify thematic priorities and target audiences to meet UNHCR’s global, regional and country-level communications objectives of leading the narrative, generating empathy and mobilizing action for forcibly displaced and stateless people.
- Monitor news and popular trends to insert UNHCR’s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive communications.
- Help maintain existing databases.
- Help forge strategic partnerships with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote UNHCR content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications.
- Support the development of news-driven and authoritative content to lead the narrative on forced displacement and show UNHCR’s impact (e.g. interviews, press releases, flagship reports, speeches), create emotive storytelling to generate empathy (e.g. stories, multimedia content) and mobilize action by signposting concrete steps people can take to help refugees (e.g. digital diplomacy, action-driven campaigns, fundraising).
- Assist in research, preparation, editing and production of professional media, audiovisual, design and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Support the content production and publication for social media platforms.
- Provide photography support to UNHCR units, including the photo directory and for the purpose of multiple information products.
- Continually maintain and upgrade communications skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
- May be required to assist in implementation of campaigns, events and other initiatives in support of UNHCR’s strategic objectives, including its need for a leading share of voice on refugee and related matters.
- May be required to undertake missions and field trips with media, donors and other official visitors in support of UNHCR and its work.
Required Skills, Education, and Experience:
- For G4 – 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Business Administration; Journalism;
- Social Science; or other relevant field.
- (Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
- Relevant Job Experience
- Communication and computer skills. Excellent drafting skills as well as translation and interpreting skills.
- Completion of UNHCR Learning Programmes or specific training relevant to functions of position.
- IT-Computer Literacy
- CO-Drafting and Documentation
- (Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.