- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Administrative support – GS-6, General Service – No need for Higher Education – Locally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Administrative support
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date:25 MAY 2023
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a worldwide organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. They work to make sure that everyone has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, or war at home. UNHCR has been setting essential protection and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced, and stateless people since 1950. They have a presence in many countries around the world, and give information and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, and stateless people.
- Keep the performance of communications strategies for countries, situations and special projects within the area of responsibility; help determine thematic priorities and target audiences to meet UNHCR’s global, regional and country-level communications objectives of leading the narrative, generating empathy and mobilizing action for forcibly expelled and stateless people.
- Observe news and popular trends to insert UNHCR’s messaging into ongoing conversations; identify key moments for proactive transmissions.
- Support forge strategic alliances with individuals and organizations who can help produce and promote UNHCR content, activities and messaging as well as provide research insights to improve communications; promote the work of engaged businesses and civil society actors.
- Fund the growth of news-driven and authoritative content to lead the narrative on forced displacement and show UNHCR’s impact (e.g. interviews, press releases, flagship reports, speeches), create emotive storytelling to generate empathy (e.g. stories, multimedia content) and mobilize action by signposting concrete steps people can take to help refugees (e.g. digital diplomacy, action-driven campaigns, fundraising).
- Aid assure that content created reaches maximum impact by supporting the development of strategies for distribution from the outset, promotingthe visibility of out content on relevant UNHCR channels and placing it on external channels.
- Help observe the performance of communications projects and adjust accordingly.
- Aid in research, preparation, editing and production of professional media and communications materials for target audiences and assure their timely dissemination via UNHCR’s communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Continuously sustain and upgrade transmissions skills, keeping abreast of emerging platforms and tools, and systematically reviewing media impact results and other measurement tools for learning purposes.
APPLY ALSP: FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER in GENEVA
- 3 years appropriate background with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Essential Outstanding computer skills and knowledge of MS Office applications. Excellent drafting skills. Desirable Background in implementing communications strategies. Professional writing and editing skills. Experience working on advocacy campaigns. Functional Skills CO-International Media Contacts CO-Journalism
- For International Professional and Field Service positions: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Command of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service positions: Command of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.