- Organization: UNICEF – United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Freetown
- Grade: Consultancy – Consultant – Contractors Agreement
- Occupational Groups:
- Public Health and Health Service
- Biology and Chemistry
- Closing Date: 2023-05-30
UNICEF, or the United Nations Children’s Fund, is an agency of the United Nations that donate humanitarian and developmental support to children over the world. It was originally initiated in 1946 to give emergency food and healthcare to children and mothers in countries devastated by World War II. UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to defend the rights of every child, especially those who are vulnerable. Its activities include giving immunizations, disease prevention, and treatment for children and mothers with HIV, as well as strengthening childhood and maternal health. UNICEF relies wholly on voluntary contributions from governments and private donors.
The duties for International Consultant at UNICEF Freetown are:
- Provision of specialized support to MoHS for continued strengthening of the medical equipment maintenance system including the installation of the proposed MoHS Directorate for Hospital Equipment Maintenance and Related Services
- Aid of in-country human capacity development in biomedical engineering/maintenance and repair of medical equipment; building on gains made over the last two years
- Asset installation of oxygen plants and improvement of their functionality including strengthening in-country capacity for the maintenance of the same
- Reinforcing operation, management and functional capacity of health facility maintenance units
- Institutionalization of Inspection and Preventive Maintenance (IPM) and Corrective Maintenance (CM) programme at community and health facility level
- Operationalization of 10 medical oxygen plants at diverse facilities
- Support the installation of 5 referral maintenance units and training centres for sophisticated and complex medical equipment in designated districts/hospitals.
APPLY ALSO: SRHR OFFICER at WHO Sierra leone
The requirements for International Consultant at UNICEF Freetown are:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in any appropriate engineering course (Biomedical, Electrical, Mechanical, Hospital Engineering)
- At least 8 years’ background in the maintenance and management of hospital and medical equipment, specifically maintenance of MNCH equipment
- Background in planning, procurement, installation, commissioning, maintenance, training, monitoring, risk assessment and boarding of medical equipment
- Background in the maintenance and/or management of oxygen systems including PSA plants will be an added advantage
- Prior experience working in Sierra Leone, or another African country is desirable
- Acquaintance with the UN system, including similar prior work in the UN system, is desirable.
- Dedication and willingness to start immediately.
- Outstanding analytical and organizational skills, including effective communication and people skills; ability to communicate and coordinate with various stakeholders and to express ideas and concepts concisely and clearly in written and oral forms.
- Language proficiency: Proficiency in verbal and written English is mandatory. Knowledge of a local language is an asset.