Brief Details About National Project Officer – UNODC – Bangladesh:
- Locations: Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Posting Date: 05/23/2023, 03:45 PM
- Apply Before: 06/06/2023, 10:29 PM
- Job Schedule: Full time
- Agency: UN Office on Drugs & Crime
- Grade: SB4
- Vacancy Type: Service Contract Holders
- Practice Area: Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding and Responsive Institutions
- Bureau: Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
- Contract Duration: 1 Year with Possibility for extension
- Education & Work Experience: Master’s Degree – 3 year(s) experience
- Required Languages: English
- Vacancy Timeline: 2 Weeks
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC; French: Office des Nations unies contre la drogue et le crime) is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna, adopting the current name in 2002.
Apply also: Senior Project Officer BRAC Bangladesh
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of key functions:
- Support effective implementation of the UNODC GMCP activities in Bangladesh.
- Extensive liaison and communication with the national counterparts, including government institutions and donors.
- Supervision of the international and national consultants/experts.
- Substantive support to the organization of training activities, workshops, national and regional meetings.
- Support strategic partnerships and the implementation of resource mobilization for programme development.
1. Function / Expected Results: In order to ensure a successful support on the implementation of the UNODC GMCP activities in Bangladesh, the incumbent will be required to:
- Support the facilitation of the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, including national counterparts, including but not limited to, Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the Ministry of Home Affairs; Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary affairs; Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock; and the relevant affiliated institutions.
- Support the monitoring and analysing aspects of programme/project development and implementation.
- Assist in identifying problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions.
- Provide substantive and technical support for policy coordination and evaluation functions, including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
- Provide administrative support in developing, implementing and delivering training for UNODC partners in the Maldives and the wider region, if required, as well as coordinating participation and logistical arrangements of training participants.
- Provide other relevant work-related support and assistance, including substantive inputs, to other UNODC initiatives in Bangladesh and in the region as required.
2. Function / Expected Results: In order to ensure extensive liaison and communication with the national counterparts, including government institutions and donors, the incumbent will be required to:
- Provide substantive and technical support and input to internal and external communication of the Indian Ocean East Team in terms of presenting and publishing communication on delivered activities, liaising with external partners on implementation of activities, as well as managing communication internally within the team.
- Establish and maintain partnerships with government institutions and other national counterparts/stakeholders for effective and sustainable project design, planning, implementation and evaluation.
3. Function / Expected Results: In order to ensure effective supervision of international and national consultants/experts, the incumbent will be required to:
- Support basic research on selected local aspects of programmes, operations and other activities, etc., to include collecting, analysing and presenting data and other information gathered from diverse sources, to support and complement experts’ inputs.
- Draft, review and submit Terms of Reference for the recruitment of national and international consultants in line with approved workplans.
- Provide translation, proofreading and quality assurance of relevant documents, as required.
4. Function / Expected Results: In order to ensure substantive support to the organization of training activities, workshops, national and regional meetings, the incumbent will be required to:
- Liaise and work alongside Admin and Finance Associate(s)/Officer(s) for the effective planning and execution of capacity building programmes in Bangladesh.
- Provide administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, etc., to include assistance with proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposing participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, etc.
- Participate in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, etc. for the successful delivery of projects’ activities.
5. Function / Expected Results: In order to support strategic partnerships and the implementation of resource mobilization for programme development, the incumbent will be required to:
- Support activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements, etc.) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work plan, programme budget, etc.).
- Prepare briefs and/or concept notes on possible areas of cooperation and follow up with Dhaka-based stakeholders on the timely receipt of project proposals.
Required Skills, Education and Experience:
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in law, international law, criminal justice, international relations, or relevant social or political science is required. A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) in similar fields in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of three years of relevant experience in programme/project administration with an international organization is required.
- Working experience on project management and/or implementation of programmes related to maritime law enforcement, maritime security and/or maritime affairs.
- Work experience communicating, liaising and/or dealing with government institutions to plan, organize and/or coordinate capacity building initiatives (workshops, training programmes, conferences, etc.) is desirable.
- Work experience and/or meaningful interaction with South Asian countries for project/programme implementation is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and excellent command of Microsoft 365 software packages (Outlook, SharePoint/OneDrive, Office, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Familiarity with the work of UNODC and/or UNODC’s Global Maritime Crime Programme (GMCP) as part of his/her current duties would be an asset.
- Knowledge of UN programmes, policies, guidelines and procedures would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English, i.e., oral and written proficiency, is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage. Proficiency in Bangla/Bengali is required.