- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: N’Djamena | Gore
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: june 1 2023
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a worldwide organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. They work to make sure that everyone has the right to seek asylum and find safe refuge, having fled violence, persecution, or war at home. UNHCR has been setting essential protection and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, internally displaced, and stateless people since 1950. They have a presence in many countries around the world, and give information and assistance to refugees, asylum-seekers, and stateless people.
The duties for Protection Associate at UNHCR in Chad are :
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural growths that have an influence on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, criteria and codes of conduct.
- Aid in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC.
- Provide advice on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other appropriate documentation.
- Aid in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC.
- Contribute to measures to recognize, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child conservation plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection method.
- Observe Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Organize individual protection cases including those on GBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of refoulement, expulsion, and other protection incidents.
- Assist in determining durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, performance and evaluation of protection-related AGD-based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Simplify effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on PoC and their problems.
- Partake in initiatives to capacitate authorities, appropriate institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection-related legislation and procedures.
- Help the supervisor in prioritizing PoC for interviews, counseling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Help the supervisor with enforcing compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Aid the supervisor with executing compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
APPLY ALSO: Resettlement Associate at UNHCR Chad
The requirements for Protection Associate at UNHCR in Chad are :
- 3 years appropriate background with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- For International Professional and Field Service positions: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Command of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Command of English and/or UN working language of the task station if not English.