- Organization: WHO – World Health Organization
- Location: Cairo
- Grade: Senior level – P-5, International Professional – Internationally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- International Relations
- Democratic Governance
- Public Policy and Administration
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date: 2023-05-16
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a technical agency of the United Nations accountable for international public health. It was founded in 1948 and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, with six regional offices and 150 field offices worldwide.WHO’s mission is to encourage health, maintain the world safe, and serve the vulnerable, guided by science and committed to the well-being of all people. The organization works with governments, civil society, international organizations, foundations, advocates, researchers, and health employees to advance the health and security of al.WHO’s areas of involvement include public health, AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, and more. The agency is led by a director-general appointed by the WHO Secretariat, which carries out routine operations and helps implement strategies.
- Direct and manage activities of Research Promotion and Research Governance (RPG) team.
- Help and correspond training and research development at the regional and country levels, including scientific writing, as well as coordination of Calls for Research Proposals for different areas of work in EMRO (Research in Priority Areas in Public Health), Tropical Disease Research and during health crises.
- Foster and strengthen national capacities and organizations for governance, management and support of research and development (R&D) for health.
- Create skills in design and conduct of research and generation of research evidence, priority setting for research, and measures and good research conduct which lead to ethical, accessible and timely dissemination of research findings.
- Help , strengthen national health research institutions and bodies, including national ethics / bioethics committees, and improve their capacity in promoting and monitoring the ethical conduct of health and medical practice and research.
- Supervise the team of the Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal, the flagship health periodical of the Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean, under the care of its Executive Editor.
- Plan and generate reports on the status of health research and governance in EMR countries, their priorities and observe progress over time.
- Blend the work of WHO Collaborating Centers in the Region through overseeing (re)designation processes, in line with WHO guidelines and priorities.
APPLY ALSO: Social Behavior Change Officer UNICEF
- University degree in medicine or pharmacy and Master’s degree in epidemiology, public health, health policy, health economics, pharmaco-economics or biostatistics
- PhD in epidemiology, public health, health policy, health economics, pharmaco-economics or biostatistics
- At least 10 years of relevant background at the national and international levels in conducting and managing health research, of which at least 3 years should be at the international level. This should include at least five years of senior managerial background with adequate exposure/engagement with the international research community. At least 15 academic journals in the last five years.