- Organization: UNHCR – United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
- Location: Budapest
- Grade: Level not specified – Level not specified
- Occupational Groups:
- Protection Officer (Refugee)
- Closing Date: 15 MAY 2023
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is a UN body tasked with providing assistance and protection to refugees, members of forcibly displaced groups, and stateless individuals as well as helping them return home voluntarily, integrate locally, or be resettled in another nation. It was founded on December 14, 1950, to replace the older United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration, and has its main office in Geneva, Switzerland. UNHCR is charged with directing and coordinating global efforts to safeguard refugees and address their issues. It belongs to the United Nations Development Group, a group of businesses committed to sustainable growth. Two Nobel Peace Prizes—in 1954 and 1981—as well as the 1991 Prince of Asturias Award for International Cooperation have been given to UNHCR.
The duties for Senior Protection Associate at UNHCR are:
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment. – Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Help in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to PoC. – Provide advice and guidance on protection issues to PoC; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Aid in conducting eligibility and status determination for PoC in compliance with UNHCR procedural standards and international protection principles.
- Donate to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Donate to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Donate to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Help the supervisor in implementing and monitoring Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on GBV and child protection. Observe, and assist the supervisor with intervening in cases of refoulement, removal and other protection incidents.
- Help in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of PoC through voluntary repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Donate to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with enforcing and operational partners.
- Donate to and facilitate a programme of results-based advocacy with sectorial and/or cluster partners.
APPLY ALSO: Operational Partnership Management Intern
The requirements for Senior Protection Associate at UNHCR are:
- 4 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 2 years relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the responsibility station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Command of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Command of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.