- Organization: WHO – World Health Organization
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Senior level – P-5, International Professional – Internationally recruited position
- Occupational Groups:
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Scientist and Researcher
- Innovations for Sustainable Development
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)
- Closing Date: 2023-06-01
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a technical agency of the United Nations accountable for international public health. It was founded in 1948 and is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland, with six regional offices and 150 field offices worldwide.WHO’s mission is to encourage health, maintain the world safe, and serve the vulnerable, guided by science and committed to the well-being of all people. The organization works with governments, civil society, international organizations, foundations, advocates, researchers, and health employees to advance the health and security of al.WHO’s areas of involvement include public health, AIDS, malaria, tuberculosis, dengue, and more. The agency is led by a director-general appointed by the WHO Secretariat, which carries out routine operations and helps implement strategies.
- Delivers technical leadership and managerial support within the IVB Department in the area of vaccine and immunization effect optimization research as it promotes the goals of WHO, IVB and the IA2030 agenda including:
– Led the growth of an IVB strategy for vaccine and immunization impact optimization research.
– Setting the post-introduction performance of vaccines, especially newly introduced vaccines, in real-world settings.
- Oversees the programme area in delivering its objectives through efficient managing of financial resources and effective work planning to optimize the programme’s deliverables in line with the IVB strategy and the appointment of the Organization.
- Serves as the specialised reference among the peer community, UN agencies and other stakeholders at the technical levels in the respective area of expertise.
- Illustrates IVB in this programme area of work at various meetings and international conferences.
- Serves as a specialised resource to the department in reviewing papers, protocols, and guidance documents, as needed.
- Conducts all other related duties as delegated.
- Important: An advanced university degree in Medicine.
- Alluring: Masters or Ph.D. in epidemiology, vaccinology, public health, or a related vaccine field.
- At least 10 years of professional background in undertaking vaccine research, preferably on more than one vaccine; this contains but is not limited to vaccine effectiveness studies and impact evaluations.
- Documented experience managing human and financial resources.
- Demonstrated background at the international level, including with WHO and/or other relevant multilateral/ UN agencies.
- At least co-investigator level involvement in a vaccine clinical trial or post-authorization evaluation, with field background .
- Displayed subject matter expertise and experience in priority vaccine preventable diseases, which include pneumococcus, respiratory syncytial virus, influenza, novel coronaviruses, and rotavirus.
- Proven background in translating clinical practice into public health policy and guidance.
- Illustrated background at the international level.